+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making syrup in my classroom- need boiling pots.. MIDCOAST MAINE

Default Making syrup in my classroom- need boiling pots.. MIDCOAST MAINE

I have been making syrup as part of my elementary school classroom for the last 6 years. We used spouts and buckets- this is the most hands on way for children to learn. It really allows them to be a part of the process and learn. We use the sandbox to boil down the sap- I am in desperate need of new pots- the only ones I can find online cost way too much in shipping. We boil on open flames so the boiling pots need to be large or the process is too slow. It is a very grassroots/homegrown method and the children love it.
    We usually make between 11-17 gallons of syrup, someday we will get a grant to expand the program but for now
    ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU CAN GIVE ME FOR BOILING POTS WOULD BE GREAT.
    IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE SAP IN SCHOOL PROGRAM IN ACTION VISIT:
    http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-in-school/

Any chance you have enough budget for a used barrel evaporator or a 1/2 pint. They would be a big improvement over pots. I know some have used steam pans to boil. Larger surface area. There are quite a few small evaporators around that are no longer in use. Maybe an ad describing what you are doing at school might get a donated unit?
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Like gmcooper said, a barrel evaporator or a half pint evaporator would be a great step up in efficiency. A brand new half pint evap would run about $1200 and that would be for a new one, there are always people upgrading. You would be able to pick up a good used one for 500 to 800. If that's still off the radar try going to a restaurant supply store and ask if they have some deep hotel pans. There is a restaurant supply in brewer and another one in Newport. I go there and get things on occasion, I bought a BUNN coffee maker there that I use to bottle my glass bottles, almost every thing there is. Dry reasonably priced but make sure you get stainless and not aluminum. Best of luck this season with you and your kiddos.
    24x56 heavy timber post and beam sugar house. 2013 CDL 2.5x8 deluxe airtight raised flue 750 taps on vacuum. CDL reverse osmosis, Wes Fab 7" full bank press. Eastern Maine CDL sales rep.

I'm thinking if he can't afford pots an evaporator is way out of reach. Based on his pics I have no clue where he would get something that size....an old 2X4, 3X5 batch pan? I will keep an eye out.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

It is my Post....thanks for the replies.
    The school would by can spend between 5-800 for a used one but I have not seen any in that price range..please let me know if you see an evap. in that price range and I am in.

Thanks for all of your help.
    The key is to keep it so that children can do a great deal of the work. I feel it is important for children to know the process and see the work that goes into the process...t

yes, we could buy a used one but I have not seen any in that price range and have asked every year on this page for suggestions/donations of used equipment. Keep me informed if you see a used one. Thanks.

Hey, check bascoms web page under used pans..plenty of choices there for a few hundred bucks..they are open for negotiation as well..then build a cinder block arch for it..that will get you through the season for cheap...that is what i use for the maple program i run at my sons school...
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

I don't know if you check craigslist, but here is a link to an economical first evaporator.
    https://nh.craigslist.org/for/5976003371.html
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Bugsmud....I sent you a PM.
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Pm'd you Bugsmud
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

+ Reply to Thread