+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying sugaring operation

Default Buying sugaring operation

Hi there, was looking for some insight on purchasing a sugaring operation. The land is 63 acres, it has a complete operation, sugar house 3×10 evaporator Holding tank, feed tank, To, vacuum system and about 2500 taps with room to expand. It's soup to nuts.
    My question is this, what kind of loan would be best? I don't believe I could get a conventional mortgage due to the fact that there is no septic, well or electricity? The loan amount would be for 150k and would be with a partner. The idea is that we would have our little slice of heaven, hunting camp/get away that would help pay for itself but doesn't have to produce year in and year out in order for the loan to be paid off. Is a small business loan a good idea, does anyone think a conventional mortgage loan possible? Any ideas on lenders out there that are friendly to this idea?
    Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If the owner of the land owns the property outright and owes nothing you could approach him/her with and owner held mortgage.
    Basically the owner would be the bank technically and you would pay a down payment just like you would with a mortgage. Then you would have a monthly payment with interest just like a mortgage and set terms of interest rates say 5 years then renegotiate term and interest rate
    You take over all costs associated with property and pay land taxes
    When you do this you need to get everything done through a lawyer just like you would with a property purchase. And make sure your name gets put on the deed to the land. The original owners name will still be on it as an owner also because he essentially is the bank and technically owns the land until it's paid off.
    Usually you need to make a pretty good down payment to sweeten the deal to convince the owner to do this but essentially the owner wins in this deal. Because he makes interest on something that basically costs him nothing. Little bit of risk for him but with a sugaring operation and if it's somewhat profitable it will or should cover some of the monthly payments. You could set it up that it's paid semi annually like 2 months after maple season and another payment around November or December. When you'd pretty much be out of stock on syrup anyways.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

That would be the best approach, most lenders do not lend on land without a home a potable water supply and a septic. Another is to be independently wealthy, but if you're like me that's ruled out.
    You will likely need to go in a less conventional type of loan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

As others have said, owner financing is probably the best route. I don't think you will get too far with a conventional mortage. Another option is a small business loan. When we looked into it, we were surprised to see it is a relatively high interest rate, 8% or better with very good credit. Also need around 20% down. No matter what, take the time to make a business plan and run through the numbers.

Check with farm credit east...there is one in each state...not sure if they will...but they would be your best bet..might need a business plan though
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Quote Originally Posted by morningstarfarm View Post
    Check with farm credit east...there is one in each state...not sure if they will...but they would be your best bet..might need a business plan though
    And 25% down
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Another is to be independently wealthy, but if you're like me that's ruled out.
    Ahhhh....but keep in mind my friend that you are independent, and wealth is not always best measured in how many $ you have.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Ahhhh....but keep in mind my friend that you are independent, and wealth is not always best measured in how many $ you have.
    Yes Dr Tim, you hit the nail on the head. Too often we looked at the cup half empty instead of half full. Yes, would say most everyone on here is blessed and wealthier than 98% of the world's population. We just get to busy to set down and count all our blessings.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

It would be a good idea to talk to buyers of the syrup you plan on making. The bulk market is very very oversupplied at the moment and with continued expansion in the industry moving product will be an issue. Also with a partener go to a lawyer and write up an agreement about what happens if /when the partenership ends.
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    Yes Dr Tim, you hit the nail on the head. Too often we looked at the cup half empty instead of half full. Yes, would say most everyone on here is blessed and wealthier than 98% of the world's population. We just get to busy to set down and count all our blessings.
    Very true, we are truly wealthy, BUT unfortunately that does not solve a traditional finance plan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast