+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring a shack

Default Wiring a shack

We are getting ready to install lights, outlets and switches in the shack. Would appreciate any input. I'm concerned about the high humidity/steam. Romex? Conduit? Ground fault outlets? Please tell me what I'll need to be aware of and any solutions. Thanks Everyone, Ted

I used all Carlon boxes and gray pvc to run wire in. All joints are glued, outlets and switches are made for wet locations. The lights I put in are made for wet locations with a cage and a jar-like glass globe protecting the bulb. It took some time but I'm confident that it's done right.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I would highly suggest separate gfci outlet and light circuits. Wet rated cable would fine but I'd use conduit for wires. Damp or wet rated light fixtures as well as make sure your switches grounded. Honestly call your AHJ and see what's required in your area, more than likely they're going to have to come give you the green light anyhow.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

Most of my wiring is in EMT conduit but some (the oldest) is Romex. All switches are std switches and recepticles. The only exception is my lighting, my florescent lights are wet location rated with plastic covers and a rubber seal and the light in my flue pan hood the light is for wet locations, with a glass globe covering the bulb, likely the same as johnallin.
    I had no issues when the electrical inspector came.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I also rewired with pvc conduit and wet location boxes. I was impressed by how the conduit will drip condensation more than the metal ceiling does. I find that outlets should be below the normal steam level in the evap room to keep them driver. Next rig will be fully hooded and vented outside.

My sugarhouse does not fill up with steam. I have 2 steam stacks, 15" each, one on the 3x3' syrup pan hood and one on the 3x5 flue pan hood. Each stack is just 4-5' high on the top of the hood, then each has a 13" stack suspended from in the cupola and it extends down into the 15" stacks. That keeps the sugarhouse almost steam free. Without that the wiring I have might not be right.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for all the info folks, I really do appreciate it! Having never seen an evaporator in person, only pictures, not to mention not seeing a sugar shack except in pictures, you can imagine the questions I don't even know enough to ask. The only downside to living in Iowa I've seen in almost 60 years is a VERY small and seperated sugaring community. Many "professionals" carpenters, electricians, etc in my area aren't familiar with what I'm trying to build. For instance I've had to explain that an evaporator and a wood stove or fireplace are completely different animals and can't be installed the same way. I have felt all along that this, for me, is a large time and money gamble. To boil it down (pun intended), I'm counting heavily on you guys. Thanks again, Ted

I think your first approach should be to visit 2 or 3 (or more) sugarhouses. Search out others, there must be other producers within 50-75 miles. Heck, I just traveled 150 miles one way last week to see another sugarhouse. I've likely seen 20, maybe 30 different ones over the years, but I learn something new at each one I visit. Most producers will show you their operation. Maple is very unlike most types of business, we are glad to share with new or smaller producers.

Thanks maple flats, I'm hoping to do so when things (harvest) slow down a bit. Ted

PVC conduit, gfci outlets or breakers, led lights, avoid hanging conduit or anything else up in the ceiling,less things to drip from
    I’m just finishing up my new shack. Used 4ft leds hung at top of the walls horizontally. PVC conduit, gfci breakers, etc.
    2010 - barrel stove & a steam table pan. 10 - 12 trees
    2011 - same deal as the year before. My son is now hooked along with me.
    2012 - Took over the garden shed and set up a Mason 2x3. Hoping to tap 30 - 50 trees. Ended up with 100 taps out.
    Finished the season with 16 gallons made
    2013- - Purchased a Smokey Lake 2 x 3 Hybrid pan. WOW, what a difference!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast