+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October Journal

I thought I saw a new sugar house going up on Rt 2 in East Montpelier or was it Plainfield, looked pretty good sized. Sounds like that tubing seminar is the same day as Bascoms auction.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Yes there is a new sugar house in Marshfield Vt on Rt2. I think they have a lot of taps also. I heard they sell some sap by RO ing the sap to 15% freeze it and then send it to Japan to make maple water or sap soda.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_In_Vermont View Post
    Yep Brian nailed it. I'm Glenn's woods crew foreman for this project. 50,000ish a year for the next 3 years for hopefully around 200,000. That's just estimates from a timber cruise, hard to be exact over 5000 acres but I bet it'll be close.
    Amazing thing about this woods is no trucking. We're going to pump about half of it, and the rest will run straight in. That in itself is huge.
    Sugarhouse is coming along, equipment starting to show up, it's coming together.
    Chris- Good Luck, it will be fun watching the progress of your team. Keep us updated

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

So the last two days I, made a deal to sell sap from as many taps as I can put in this year, acquired a 750 gallon stainless steel tank, and a releaser. Tomorrow I meet with someone who is interested in as much syrup as I can send send him... one excited sap monkey.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Wow! Double Wow! I will be walking several local PA sugarbushes with Glenn during the Friday LEME event. Always impressed with Glenn. Some dream it, some do it!
    More pictures are welcome.
    regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Man 85 View Post
    Have 12,000 feet of mainline and wire to install (wire and line is pulled but have to string it up), starting Saturday I'll be living in the woods until its done!
    Goal met all 12,000 feet installed time to push and get the laterals in!!! Only 90 800ft rolls to go!
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Goal met all 12,000 feet installed time to push and get the laterals in!!! Only 90 800ft rolls to go!
    Don't forget to plan on $1.50/lb., or less syrup just around the corner.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I've been thinking about adding a storage barn for about 4 years but never seem to get the green saved ahead to do it. This past Monday I changed direction, instead of a 30 x 40' barn with room for lots of my farm equipment, a storage loft for more, a space to build a walk in cooler and 1 corner for a blacksmith shop, I ordered a 14x28 shed. It is being built right now and I designed it to have the ability to drive my tractor in it. It will have a hip roof for more room for storage but the headroom will only be 5' in the center on one end and 4 feet for the section over the tractor. Then over the next few years I'll add a walk in cooler just off the east side, a blacksmith shop off the back and a shed lean to roof on the west side to park some of my farm equipment on the west side. A set of double doors will be on the south for the tractor to go in, and a man door on the west and one on the north (for the future blacksmith shop).
    So, I've been moving a whole lot of stuff from where it will set. I had loads of farm equipment , a releaser, a vacuum pump, a 300 gal SS tank, 2 plastic leg tanks, a canoe and a pile of logs for my sawmill. That is all now gone. Now I have a large 3 stem basswood tree I need to take down, one of which has a real bad lean the I need to get it to fall about 90 degrees from the lean, a large maple with a real bad spot of rot going up at least 8' and a large cherry also with a long badly rotted trunk on one side about 10-12' from the ground up. Any of those could easily fall on the shed if I left them.
    Once they are gone, I'll remove the top soil where the shed will go, put plastic down to help keep moisture from below working up and then put down 6" crushed stone and rent a power plate tamper to pack it. All this in the next 10 days.
    I've got to get back to it now.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Its always satisfying to reach a goal like that. Unfortunately my goal of installing 3/16ths on a slope I have never installed on before was grossly optimistic. But I'm almost done if that counts for anything!! Good luck with your install, beautiful time to be in the woods
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

On Sunday, I did a test boil with my new preheater. I tried to incorporate my vent from the top of the preheater with a tank level gauge.
    The results were less than satisfactory; too much air spitting out the top of the tubing. Today I reconfigured my tank gauge into the feed line
    and I'm going to run my vent line way up in the rafters and then return it to the float box. As for improved boil, I got a little over
    60 gph; up from around 50, with the extra boil rate now it's time to go looking for more trees................
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast