+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Over the river and thru the woods

This thread has been re-opened. After getting some P.M.'s asking why I closed the thread, that they were enjoying the thread. I guess I acted too soon, even markcasper sent me a message that he had not seen a reason to close the thread.
    Let's however refrain from trying to preach our opinions in either direction and just enjoy making syrup however each of us sees fit. Do not use this thread to push your agenda.
    If you want such a thread, start your own, but if it gets too far away from the intent of this forum, it will be closed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I appreciate your efforts and direction mapleFlats. I think you are spot on keeping us directed at keeping it Maple related. Feel free to let me know if I ever cross the line, and I will do my best to comply. I know global warming is a hot topic that has as many opinions as people involved. I do enjoy the discussion and there is good information and points brought up by all. Topics that make us think are good, but we all should do our best to be civil and understanding.

As for environmental issues, they certainly do impact us. The effects of warmer temps directly impact our sap flows. Acid rain affects the trees and probably the sap. I do wonder if converting to oil fired evaporation is a significant issue to sugar camps or the environment. We are just too small a fish in the pond. Pollution in all forms is an important issue. In my former career I saw first hand the catastrophic effects uncontrolled pollution causes.

Originally this post was about a visit to see a converted operation,wasn't it. I guess we all need to focus on staying on topic
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 11-12-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Yeh, I'm a wood guy, but oil starts to look better as each cake gets another candle.....
    Thanks for re-opening Dave.
    Going back to your original post. We all know that good wood and consistent firing time are critical, but due to the constant heat source provided by an oil burner, it would seem that oil would be more efficient or at least provide a higher evaporation rate on the same rig. 2x6 Leader patriot with Revolution pans, in my case.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    I find this thread offensive, it has grown to be politically incorrect, and it is hurting my feelings as an individual.
    It is difficult to understand posts sometimes without the benefit of really knowing the person quite well, and without them standing there in front of you, however I took this statement as sarcasm, although I can see it being interpreted by folks either way. In any case, civil discourse is fine, but we can trust Dave to keep an eye on things and make sure the conversation doesn't get out of hand.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

You takin bout me WILLIS?

Sarcasm font and "Hollywood quote Marks" for those who never saw the show

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123