+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roof Jacks

Default Roof Jacks

If anyone has installed roof jacks on a metal roof could you please share. I'm looking for the best/proper way to install our steam and smoke stack jacks so we don't see leaking in the future. I've tired the usual resources (You Tube) but have seen differing methods.

Thanks in advance,
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I used the same roofing screws that we used for roofing. Drilled thru the jack into the ridge of metal not the flat where the two touched
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

They should have some foam to install on the lower edge of the roof. On the top side if it is not tucked under your ridge cap you can get some flat steel roofing the same color as the rest of the roof and tuck it under your ridge cap and over the top edge of your roof jack. The sides should seal at the top of the ridges.

I don't have it at my sugarhouse, but back when I was a dealer/installer of outdoor furnaces, when we encountered a steel roof to run the stack thru (wood shed or just a roof), we had our local tinshop make a roof jack. He needed the pitch of the roof and a sample of the roofing. If it was going thru at the peak he also needed to know if the ribs lined up side to side, if not he needed to know how far offset the 2 sides were.
    When we got the roof jack it had the exact shape needed to fit the steel roofing profile. A cone shape stuck up for the stack to pass thru and then there was an adjustable rain collar to put on the stack a few inches above where the stack went up thru that cone. We simply pushed the stack up thru after attaching it to the roof and sealing it with silicone caulk, then put the rain collar on and it worked perfectly.
    However, I've not gotten to that on my sugarhouse. I simply have the stack pass thru the steel roof (the opening is close, but slightly larger than the stack so it can expand and contract up and down as the temperature of the stack goes from cold to hot, if too snug thru the roof it will expand upward but as it contracts the roof can grab it and create a gap at the arch and base stack joint. I had that, but then I opened the roof hole slightly and now it is good. Even though not perfect, I get little or no rain down the outside of the stack and I have a flip cap on top that is closed when not in use.
    For my steam stacks (2@15") they just go up and terminate at the lower edge of the door opening on the cupola. The 15" SS stacks go up a few feet and stop, then from in the cupola I have 13" aluminum stacks that are suspended from a thru rod in the cupola. Those extend about 6" down into the 15" stacks below. This way, when I need to raise the hood, the 15" stacks simply telescope over the 13" stacks as the hood raises on winch cables. I lift and lower it with a small boat winch attached to a post on one wall.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I had a local metal shop custom make mine, like Maplflats stated. The builder than mounted it and sealed it with high temp caulk. The thing fit the roofing so well that there was very little to seal if any. Since it had a piece of stainless stovepipe built right into it with two feet outside and two feet inside and welded up so the ends mounted correctly it was all sealed by weld around the pipe.

I am starting to looking into chimney stack stuff now, too. While everyone says that these single wall Jacks work, I am still pretty surprised that they work as well and are safe enough. I was thinking of some sort of class A penetration through the roof, maybe I won't now.

Anyone have a suggestion for a tin knocker in WNY area that can do this? Ballpark idea for an 8 inch jack, side mount?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mudr, I got my jacks from Leader, in addition to the jacks I have a larger stainless sections so it will be sleeved.

Super Sapper, you explained what I was for looking. My evaporator sits to the side if I were going through the peak that would have been much easier but how you explained sealing the ribs with the foam closures is something I over looked Thank you!
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

I don't want to hijack this post but I also have a roof jack question. I got one for my stack which is 9". The rain ring is adjustable and will fit fine. The roof jack itself measures 11"diameter. I was told this is normal. So how do I shim my stack to the roof jack?
    Thanks

I am trying this type on a cookstove that is on the sugarhouse good for 450 degrees. The cookstove with an oven temp of 400, I can put my hand on the stove pipe. It is a high heat silicone roof jack made by Dektite. I have been thinking about using them on my steamstacks. Affordable at around $50.00. I got them at jakesales.com. easy to install and will fit most any pitch. Waterproof also.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

+ Reply to Thread