+ Reply to Thread

Thread: guzzler pump on 12v and a solar charging system

Default guzzler pump on 12v and a solar charging system

Does anyone out there run there guzzler on a 12v battery and have it recharged on one of those solar systems?

Any info would help.

We looked into this when we bought our guzzler but decided that it would be as easy to maintain the fuel in a generator.

We are going through a solar/battery setup for tank level monitors in two locations now. It appears one battery may last all year, but we are going to use a solar panel and charge controller hooked to the battery to help maintain the battery and last longer.

I am not up to speed on how to calculate such usage but things to consider are the hours of sun light per day or lack there of over a few days which need to be held in reserve (bigger or more batteries). I don't know the amp requirement for a guzzler off the top of my head, but that is needed along with how long do you plan to run the pump per day.

We ran our pump the first year about equal to what the daylight was...old thinking...then we ran the pump when the the temps were good for us. I found if it never dropped below 28 degrees for more than 2 hours we were good to go. That meant several days the pump would run.

I probably would look at never discharging the battery on a regular basis below 20%, providing current for 3 days straight with cloud cover, and look for a good solar panel. My house panels will show production on an overcast day. I don't know if the lesser expensive systems would do that.

Good luck,

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread