+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Segmenting portion of pole barn for sugar shack

Default Segmenting portion of pole barn for sugar shack

I'm currently in the design/quote phase of building a pole barn.

My initial thought was to segment of a portion (20x40) for maple use. Has anyone done this with a pole barn? I'm worried about moisture penetration in other areas of the barn.

I've talked to one Amish builder and he would prefer to make the sugar shack a separate structure.

Hoping to get some opinions so I can move forward. If you seen this done (segmented pole barn), how was it done, and how did it work?

Thanks,

Mike

The moisture can be considerable. My woodshed is far cooler than the evaporator room and the water condenses on all those cold surfaces (probably including the firewood). I would worry about things like feed and hay, and also cold steel machinery.

If you are going to burn wood you should consider building a separate building. That way if you should have a fire you don't loose everything. Getting insurance on a building that is part sugar house and part storage could be hard and expensive.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread