+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gallon jug holding more than a gallon

Default gallon jug holding more than a gallon

Hello,

So the gallon jug that I've been using which I've filled up to the top (have over 1,000 like this) when I weighed it out has been coming in anywhere from 12-12.4 pounds (and an empty jug did not register any weight on my scale which goes out to the tenth of a pound). I know the weight of syrup is debatable per gallon and I've seen 11 and 11.3 pounds. With the difference it's anywhere from 4-16 oz being given away in free syrup. Should I be weighing my gallon jug and converting it accordingly (ie 1.08 gallons) and charging my customers that way or what does everyone think? It may not seem like a lot but it adds up to a significant quantity/lost revenue over the course of a year. Any opinions/comments/suggestions are welcome.

Is your syrup exactly the right density? If it is over density, it will be heavier.
    Jeremy
    Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
    Somerset County, PA
    22000 taps on vacuum and counting
    4x14 Leader Max pans oil fired with steam-away, 2-1000gph RO's, 2-4000gph RO's

Most brands of maple jugs are at full level when you stop filling at the bottom of the flare that's just below the threads, when filled at 180 degrees. If you are using a maple jug, stop filling at or slightly above that flare under the cap threads. If you are using any other jug you need to take a jug that is full hot (180-190F) and see where it gives you the amount you want. I fill mine to half way between the lower flare and the bottom of the threads, I use Sugarhill jugs. Before you can weigh them you need to know your scale is accurate, generally done by a certified scale. Giving away 4-6 oz is far better than cheating a customer out of even 1/2 oz. Get closer to the 3-4-6 oz extra is my suggestion.
    If your scale is not certified you are taking a big risk, but try weighing something in your shopping cart that adds up to 11# on their scale. Then at home take the exact same group and weigh them on your scale to compare. Remember, you want slightly more.
    For my syrup I finish it at 66.9 and fill as I described above. If all are packed at 180 F but the densities vary from lets say 66.5 up to 67.4, the weights for an official gallon will vary too. More sugar= more weight.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

My syrup is at the right density maybe slightly heavy. I know that I am over the fill line for the gallons and want to make sure that I'm not giving away a significant amount of syrup over the aggregate of my sales for free. I like the idea of using a certified scale a lot.

I would think the correct measure should be taken at room temperature. I fill my bottles all the way up and don't worry about giving syrup away. The llast thing I ever want to do is short a customer. I have actually used it as a sales point that they are paying for x and getting x+

The other thing to consider, you don't want a customer to open up a jug and have moldy syrup because you didn't fill it up enough and have the jug not seal properly. Quickest way to keep from having repeat customers.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Remember you are selling a product by volume, gal, not weight. So that could be a sticking point for you.
    If you are advertising something to be 1 gal and you are filling by weight and you are putting heavy syrup in the jug you are really not giving them a true gal or product.
    You could be opening yourself to false advertising thing.

Also remember that syrup hot takes up more volume in a container than cold syrup. So to fill by volume you will need to know how much syrup increases volume by temp, not an easy thing to do, this changes as temp goes up or down.

I overfill like Maple Flats does, it makes it way simpler and quicker for me.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

The gallon is filled to the top, it's not putting too dense of syrup in there at the correct line and making it too heavy. I think that it would open up a can of worms and can be an inexact science so I'm going to just stick with charging gallon even though there is more than a gallon in there. I will be a lot more careful next year when filling my jugs!

I'f you don't think of your pricing in terms of fluid ounces, but think of it related to full gallon jugs, you're not losing revenue.
    I set my pricing knowing that I am selling a full jug. Customers are happy with my pricing and with receiving a full jug, and I'm happy with what I make for each"full jug".

I'd rather charge $1 more a "gallon" than have even one customer feel cheated when he/she opened the bottle and it didn't appear full. I guarantee they're not going to weigh the jug and determine- "well look at that - this jug really does have a whole gallon in it even though it looks like it's only half full "
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Quote Originally Posted by milligkl View Post
    Hello,

So the gallon jug that I've been using which I've filled up to the top (have over 1,000 like this) when I weighed it out has been coming in anywhere from 12-12.4 pounds (and an empty jug did not register any weight on my scale which goes out to the tenth of a pound). I know the weight of syrup is debatable per gallon and I've seen 11 and 11.3 pounds. With the difference it's anywhere from 4-16 oz being given away in free syrup. Should I be weighing my gallon jug and converting it accordingly (ie 1.08 gallons) and charging my customers that way or what does everyone think? It may not seem like a lot but it adds up to a significant quantity/lost revenue over the course of a year. Any opinions/comments/suggestions are welcome.
    Are you holding the jug under the filler or is it sitting on a flat surface? The bottom of a plastic jug bows significantly from the weight and heat of syrup if it hangs. That was a messy discovery for me when I filled my first gallon jug then set it on the counter to cap it. If you hold it by the handle as you fill it and then cap it, that would account for a lot of extra syrup.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast