+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiskey barrel syrup

Default Whiskey barrel syrup

I just got a 5 gallon freshly emptied whiskey barrel, and I want to fill it with maple syrup. Should I, do I need to, heat the syrup to a 180 degrees before putting it in the barrel? Or, are there other considerations I need to be thinking about?
    Thanks,
    Dennis McGill

I heated mine to 190 before filling the barrel. With a 5 gal barrel you want to open it after aging 3-3.5 months. When you loosen the bung, stand to the side, not right over it, sometimes they will have pressure in them, usually not. I had one hit me in the forehead as I opened it. Initially I was worried the syrup might no longer be good, but it proved to be the same as my other barrels that had no pressure. After 5 weeks I still have a bump I can feel on my forehead but it doesn't hurt. At first when it hit, I thought I was going to go down, but I didn't.
    The end result will please all who taste it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I also heated mine to 190, I did it in June I think . I just took it out as the barrel started to ooze a bit. It had some stuff growing in it but after heating filtering it looks and tastes fine. Dont know that I will do it again but it was fun, and I have to keep it locked up its in high demand. Now what to do with the barrel.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

How long do you keep syrup in a 10 gallon bourbon barrel?

Find a home brewer in your area. I've already got guys putting dibs on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa sapsucker View Post
    How long do you keep syrup in a 10 gallon bourbon barrel?
    I still have my 10 gal barrel aging, but I was told that a 10 gal needs 6-7 months, by the friend who got me into this. He's done it for 2-3 years.. I packed mine on 4/28, I plan to check to see if it's ready about 11/1. Should be perfect timing for Christmas sales.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I emptied my 15 gal barrel at 4 months. I seemed to lose a little bourbon flavor after I heated it and bottled it but after I opened bottle and sampled it seems to be pretty good flavor. Almost seemed like it gained flavor after sitting in bottle for month or so then from when we bottled it.

Thanks Dave. I've got a buddy that buys syrup off of me every year to do this . He wanted me to ask to make sure he's doing it long enough. Do you guys think it's something that I should get into myself ? Is the market very good for bourboun ?

Too soon to tell from here. Initially I had great response but only from a small handfull of people. I had no bad feedback but sales are now slower than expected.
    I'm still thinking it will gain as more people try it. It will likely be a good Christmas time item for gifts and holiday parties.

Being new to this bourbon syrup. I do not have intentions of selling . What does one think of a 5 gallon barrell filled at 190 degrees with an extra fifth of good bourbon added. Packed in June and was going to let sit until Thanksgiving. Good or bad idea.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast