+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 2 x 5 lapierre evaporator setup help

Exclamation New 2 x 5 lapierre evaporator setup help

Hello,

I just purchase a 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator. I'm going to be picking it up in November or before then if possible. I am looking for some advice on setting this thing up before snow fall. I plan on building a 12x16 shack next summer as this summer I purchased the evaporator. I'm thinking of either pouring a pad for it or putting down crushed stone and setting it on the ground. I'm also planning on using crushed stone as a floor for my shack next year. Now I keep racking my brain about what to proceed with the pad or stone ? Is there a way i could set this thing up on level ground with no pad or stone ? Problem is the ground would be thawing come my first boil and then would make my evaporator unlevel correct ? I'm trying to spend the least amount of money to get this setup for the coming season and still be able to build my shack next summer. How do you guys have yours set up ? I have a temporary solution for a shack which is my portable garage just for this season. I want to get a clear direction to take this next step for when my new evaporator gets on-site and still be able to build my shack around it next summer. Thanks in advance for the advice.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

If you wanna do it right go with cement slab.

It is hard to keep your evap. level on a small cement pad, because they can heave enough from frost. I wouldn't want to try it on dirt or stone. If the ground gave way on a warm day you might lose a pan or rig. Take some 2x6's build a 2.5 ft x 8ft box fill a 3rd of the box with sand. stay away from the edges and stay down 2.5 to 3 inches in the middle. Then get some bags of ready mix cement and mix it up it a wheelbarrow. even if it cracks it will last the season. good luck!!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

You've boiled somewhere on something for three seasons on your 2.5 by 4 setup, right? There's no crime in doing the same if you want to for the coming season on your new rig.
    Sure a concrete pad is best, but crushed stone will be stable enough if compacted for a temporary solution. I've done it with exactly that rig. It MAY get a tad out of true level due to frost heave or whatever but not critically so and would still work and make good syrup. I'd spend my time and effort planning the new shack, and not so much on the current temp situation. Just my opinion, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMark753 View Post
    You've boiled somewhere on something for three seasons on your 2.5 by 4 setup, right? There's no crime in doing the same if you want to for the coming season on your new rig.
    Sure a concrete pad is best, but crushed stone will be stable enough if compacted for a temporary solution. I've done it with exactly that rig. It MAY get a tad out of true level due to frost heave or whatever but not critically so and would still work and make good syrup. I'd spend my time and effort planning the new shack, and not so much on the current temp situation. Just my opinion, good luck!
    Yes I did boil on my old 2.5 x 4 flat pan. I built the evaporator out of a 275 gallon oil tank on wheels. I rolled it out of the shed and leveled it off with blocks. I never finished on that unit so being completely level wasn't a major concern. I got tired of 12 hour boils on that thing so I upgraded to this unit. The other thing I didn't worry about wa it had the bottom of the tank to catch the coals and ash so I wasn't concerned with heat getting to the ground and softening it up. I know I'll end up putting some brick at the bottom of the opening to limit the heat but I'm sure there will still be some. My plans for my shack are all done I don't have the cash right now to build it since I bought the evaporator. The cement pad or stone is in the budget for this year to get it running but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for when I build next summer. I moved into a new house a couple months ago btw so old location of evaporator is a no go

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

I would say if you do end up pouring a slab make sure it is compatible with the shack for next year.
    Camp Wokanda
    Peoria Park District

2023 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, sap storage shack w/ 1100 gallon tank - 123 gallons
    2022 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, homemade vac filter & water jacket canner - 104 gallons
    2021 - 215 on 3/16 shurflo, added 2nd membrane to RO - 78 gallons
    2020 - 210 on 3/16 shurflo, upgraded hp pump on RO - 66 gallons
    2019 - 150 on 3/16 shurflo, Deer Run 125 dolly RO - 73 gallons
    2018 - 120 on 3/16 shurflo, 2x6 raised flue w/hood, homemade arch w/ AUF & AOF - 34.5 gallons

for what it's worth (which may not be much), I've boiled on a dirt floor for the past 3 seasons. I did burry some 6x6's 3 feet in the dirt that the back of my arch sets on. in the front I buried 4, 2" thick patio blocks under each front corner. I welded adjustable legs on the front so before firing it up each day I adjust level. If it's a long, all day type of boil i'll check for level mid day. I have never had an issue. just have to be careful. I'm in a somewhat similar of situation. I have a sugarhouse, but I'm in between getting a new evaporator and putting it in a permanent spot... which will be on a concrete pad.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Thanks for all the replies. I have bit the bullet and decided on pouring the entire 6" pad with drains now instead of later. Sites leveled, form built, 8" dense grade crushed stone compacted. Putting down my plastic and building the grid tomorrow to hopefully get the truck here next week sometime. Hope this helps someone else

Hey Lords, it's Tom, with the same Lapierre unit going in this season, and also a new sugar shed for it. We talked a while back about it. You're a bit ahead of me in prepping the site for a slab. My shed will be 9x11, and I'm either going to pour the whole thing, or I consider pouring only half of it and leaving the rest compacted crushed stone. That would be 5.5 x 9, maybe big enough to avoid heaving, but thinking about Brian's comment above that a smaller slab is more likely to heave. So you decided bring in a truck load instead of mixing yourself? I look forward to hearing how it goes.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

You wont regret putting the time or money into the flooring. It will be there for a long, long time!
    Good job!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread