+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The taste of syrup and how to find a buyer for each grade....

amaranth farm Guest

Default The taste of syrup and how to find a buyer for each grade....

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:38 PM.

The lack of true maple flavor in lighter syrups I believe is why my Dark syrup sells so well and I have far more requests for dark than any other grade.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

How many taps do you have? What are you boiling on?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I have to agree Dave, no one comes looking for light in a can anymore, medium sells best followed by dark. All syrup set aside for family is dark with good flavor at near end of season, we all like the heavier maple flavor.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.

I would definitely agree with what you're saying and have done similar with friends and family. Everyone has different tastes but almost everyone likes the medium/Amber. I have 2 customers that only want gold/light and the rest want Amber or dark. I'm a very small producer in SNH and usually sell out as soon as the batches are done being bottled so sometimes everyone doesn't get what they want but they still buy it. Time for more taps to actually get to enjoy my own syrup this year
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

southfork Guest

With newer production methods there is some late season "lighter syrup" being produced. IMO, the taste can be not in line with what traditional light syrup tasted like. Something to consider, and I guess a reason why taste is becoming more important than simply color alone. Unfortunately, this may become confusing to many customers.

+ Reply to Thread