+ Reply to Thread

Thread: progressive Reloader

Default progressive Reloader

Have reloaded for years with a single stage RCBS. looking to move towards a progressive press. Any pros and cons of the progressives and what do you use.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Dillon 550B. love it. Quick set up to change to different dies.
    backyard hobbyist
    Mason 2x3 w/AUF
    2020 - added small vacuum and gravity 5/16 tubing and sap sacks
    N 42* 18' 31."
    W 79* 34' 15."
    https://www.saptapapps.com/map/31868...-aab748a6394e/

Flatlander, I've been using singlestage presses for nearly 45 years, have often considered going to a progressive but just never made the switch. Would like to know what you think after you get one. I have about 20 sets of dies, do progressives accept standard dies?
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

What are you reloading/shooting, that you want the speed/volume of a progressive press. I use both. A Dillon for all my handgun loads (32,38,.357, 44,45ACP) and a single stage RCBS for all my rifle needs. Maybe if I was into some of the "assault" type weapns, I would do those on a progressive; simply because of the volume likely to be used. As far as the progressive loaders go, the biggest issue for me is accuracy of the powder measurement. Really tough to get an accurate weight on some of the long-grained rifle powders using a volume type powder measure. That's all just my opinion, I'm pretty particular when it comes to my handloads for my rifles. I also use a MEC hydra mec for my shotgun reloading, depending on the price of components vs. the cost of a bulk purchase of new ammo.

I use and really like my Dillon 550B, bought in '88 or '89, I see they are now on are on 550C but I don't know what changes were made. I load about 12-14 different calibers on mine. That one uses STD dies, any brand (7/8x14). Caliber changes are rather fast. Pull 2 pins and disconnect the safety rod on the powder dispenser and the tool head comes off. It is then stored on a tool head stand. I have 3 powder meters, one for smaller pistol charges, one for magnum pistol charges and one for rifle loads. It can all be done with 1, but then you might need to change a charge bar from small to large depending on what charge you are dropping or vise versa. Also, primers, there are large pistol, small pistol, large rifle, small rifle. From either large to small or small to large you use a different primer cup to insert the primer, the change takes about 2 minutes or less. To change primers if the primer feed tube is not empty is easy, just remove the whole thing, tip it over and dump the old into a flipper tray and then pick them up with a spare pick up tube (I have 4 each large and small, 2 for rifle, 2 for pistol)
    The best part is that a Dillon is guaranteed forever, even if you are not the original owner. If a part breaks or is worn out, just call Dillon and they send you a free replacement part, shipping pre-paid too. It does not matter how it got broken or damages, No BS guarantee.
    The 550 B is a 4 stage manual machine that can load almost every centerfire metallic cartridge, the only exception I can think of is 50BMG. Dillon has a 50 BMG reloader too.
    Other machines are the Dillon Square Deal B (a 3 stage pistol loader with auto indexing), the RL650 which loads many cals but not as many as the RL550 for some reason, but that may be auto indexing too, the RL550B is not, that you turn after each round, but it's fast and easy, but it offers more automatic functions. Then a RL1050 which is a high production machine, auto indexing but only pistol , + a rifle or 2 cal. There is also a SL900, shotgun loader. The last I'll mention is a 550 basic, nothing automatic but it can be gradually fully upgraded to a RL550B and likely now a 550C, on that one you feed the primers by hand, measure the powder and pour it thru an attached funnel on the powder die, the other functions happen like they do on the RL550B or C. Just add the powder measure and primer feed later and you have the full RL550C.
    Dillon even offers upgrades for their original loader, a RL450 to make it a 550.
    Another thing I like, is if you ever have a question, just call in, who ever answers is a user of the machines and knows every one completely, you don't need to ask a question to a long series of people who then refer you to another.
    Last edited by maple flats; 08-21-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarsand View Post
    Flatlander, I've been using singlestage presses for nearly 45 years, have often considered going to a progressive but just never made the switch. Would like to know what you think after you get one. I have about 20 sets of dies, do progressives accept standard dies?
    from everything i read the progressives do. I hear Dillon machines xl650 barely work with other manufactures dies but they do.

One guys opinion was that if you shoot 3k + a month get the dillon, if your doing 1200 to the 3k range Hornady AP will do you good for less money.

between me and the GF, Im teaching her how to shoot, we are going through 1800 rounds a month

Dillion with 3 sets of pistol dies and one rifle, all the tool heads for each set, im looking at 1400.00 approx.
    Hornady with same set up 800.00 approx.
    oh yea cant for get the powder cop for each one
    these are both with out case feeder and bullet feeder.

People have been saying Hornady is right up there with Dillions NO BS warranty and customer service.

hey phil-t im reloading 9, 40, 45 for pistols right now and yes I have a AR15 with slide fire stock so at times I chew through 556. Ill probably do what you are doing with your hunting rounds and keep using the single stage.

on some ones site they had a Pay Back Calculator and for 9mm and 40 I believe it came upto 7 months to 12.2 months.
    the last box of 9mm i bought was 12 and change the PBCsays I can reload for 7 cents a round compared to 15 cents.

I found an awesome reloading bench, will have to order that a little later "The Constitution"
    https://www.americanworkbench.com/the-constitution.html

this is her after first 150 rounds at approx 7 yards, she never shot a pistol until she met me 20170730_193106.jpg
    Last edited by Flat Lander Sugaring; 08-23-2017 at 05:13 AM.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

In the early '90s I switched to a progressive. I think the best bang for the buck at that time was a Hornady Projector (early version of the AP). After using it I think the best bang for caliber conversions was a Dillon 650, but my machine helped speed up the reloading. The Hornady worked very well for me until I bought a machine gun and wanted to take advantage of the powder check station. My concern was a double charge or no charge, not a slight variation. The Dillon 650 had that feature.

I switched to a Dillon 650 in 1998. Excellent machine and will load nearly any caliber other progressives will load. The only down side, as with any other machine setup for rifle calibers is a longer stroke for pistol cartridges. My Father built a PVC pipe case feeder, one with 1/2" and another with 3/4" pipe. They work great and cost much less than the Dillon case feeder. Granted you still have to load them by hand, but the time is shorter than filling the tube by hand.

Fast forward to late 2010 and the 300 AAC Blackout hits the market. Time to convert cases from 223/5.56 since brass was a little challenging early on. I Did it by hand for 500 cases using a band saw and power trimmer....hours and hours and hours. I did some research and found the Dillon Super 1050 was just the ticket and would make processing crimped primers for other calibers a breeze. I still cut the 223/5.56 cases on the band saw since the original case trimmers were not up to eating that much brass...there is new on which is.

Today...there is a ton of 300 AAC Blackout Brass around. Buy the Dillon 650 and use the money saved on the caliber conversions to buy all the brass you'll need. I won't go selling my 1050, it's a sweet unit.

I would strongly recommend the Dillon 650. Their support is great and I like blue more than red...Miller welders and full-time police officer. Seriously the Hornady has a lot of nice features now too and you won't be wrong with either unit. I'd still go with the Dillon 650 unless you need the features on the 1050.

Let me know if you need any help or have some thoughts on the machines.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    from everything i read the progressives do. I hear Dillon machines xl650 barely work with other manufactures dies but they do.

Attachment 16641
    I have a 550 not a 650 but I know several who own a 650, I have never had any issues using any other manufacturer's dies. In fact I load a whole bunch of dies for all of the calibers I load and I only have 2 that are Dillon die sets. The exception for needing Dillon dies would be the Square deal B or the BMG 50. All of the 450-550 and 650 configurations from bare press to fully decked out all use standard 7/8 X 14 dies. If you don't use carbide dies, you must lube the cases, but that's true of any make.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I have a 550 not a 650 but I know several who own a 650, I have never had any issues using any other manufacturer's dies. In fact I load a whole bunch of dies for all of the calibers I load and I only have 2 that are Dillon die sets. The exception for needing Dillon dies would be the Square deal B or the BMG 50. All of the 450-550 and 650 configurations from bare press to fully decked out all use standard 7/8 X 14 dies. If you don't use carbide dies, you must lube the cases, but that's true of any make.
    I have used CH4D, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS, and Redding dies on my 650 with no issues. I think there are a few more caliber choices on the 550 than the 650, but it has been awhile since I looked. You can pretty much build and combination you want and really only limited with the shell plate. There are some charts out there to help keep conversion costs down. Call Dillon and ask them. Google your caliber with the Dillon 650 (ie Loading 458 Socom on Dillon 650) to see what others have done if you have a wildcat. If you are running the 300 AAC Black or other short cased rifle caliber there are modified toolheads.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

Update: I went with the Hornady and RCBS dies. Loaded up 300+ already. Took my time with first 200 until I got comfortable and worked out a couple kinks in the system with the process and then I did 100 in 17 minutes, manual case feed and bullet. I am going to get the case feeder and powder cop this weekend.
    Business Name
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    Chumlee of the trader

+ Reply to Thread