+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 69 brix after canning

Was the syrup a lighter grade (color)? If so, that would be were your sweeter taste is coming from. Darker syrup will have a stronger maple taste where a lighter syrup will have less and seem sweeter. Once you get your proper density you should cover the syrup while you let it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by socram View Post
    Appreciate any thoughts....
    Don't forget that refractometers should be calibrated occasionally especially if they have been banged or dropped. Calibrating oil is available from the various maple equipment suppliers but if you know a larger producer near you they would probably give you the drop or two of oil it requires to test your refractometer for accuracy.

You may already be doing this but you want to keep your syrup covered whenever you are reheating it, you would be amazed how much condensation you will get on the lid even just going to 185/190, if not covered all that water is escaping and potentially making your syrup moready dense, not saying that this is your problem but it could be part of it.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    You may already be doing this but you want to keep your syrup covered whenever you are reheating it, you would be amazed how much condensation you will get on the lid even just going to 185/190, if not covered all that water is escaping and potentially making your syrup moready dense, not saying that this is your problem but it could be part of it.
    Thanks. Will do.
    2014 - 5 taps
    2015 - 10 taps
    2016 - 25 taps, homemade evaporator
    2017 - 25 taps, homemade evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by Quebecguy View Post
    Don't forget that refractometers should be calibrated occasionally especially if they have been banged or dropped. Calibrating oil is available from the various maple equipment suppliers but if you know a larger producer near you they would probably give you the drop or two of oil it requires to test your refractometer for accuracy.
    Thanks. I calibrated initially, that was 2 yrs ago though....
    2014 - 5 taps
    2015 - 10 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    Was the syrup a lighter grade (color)? If so, that would be were your sweeter taste is coming from. Darker syrup will have a stronger maple taste where a lighter syrup will have less and seem sweeter. Once you get your proper density you should cover the syrup while you let it cool.
    Yes, I didn't officially grade it but I would say it's lighter than previous years I assumed because I had refined my process compared to previous years. Perhaps that's why the flavor seems different to me.
    2014 - 5 taps
    2015 - 10 taps

n8thutch is right, and if you test the density after heating it and it is right, don't add that condensation back into the syrup, however if it then tests extra dense, you may want to tilt the cover to add the drops back into the syrup, but if you do that, be sure to stir it to get it fully blended or you will end up packing some high density and towards the end it my go under density. High causes no real issues except it might have some sugaring out, low can spoil.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12