+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 69 brix after canning

Default 69 brix after canning

I opened a couple jars that I canned a few months ago. They tasted off to me, too sweet I thought, so I got out my refractometer and they are closer to 69brix. Did I do something wrong? No crystalization and syrup looks clear, I think its ok to eat, but I'd rather find out what I did wrong. I had one other jar that tasted off to me that I dumped a couple months ago. Then I had another jar that was fine and when that emptied and I reached for another I got to jars like this at 69brix.

I'm pretty small time, made about 13 quarts of syrup this year. This was my first year to have enough to can. I finished boiling inside on my stove in each of my 2 boils. i boiled to syrup (as measured by refractometer - 66.5%) and then removed from heat and waiting for temp to decrease to about 200degF and then poured through filter into jars. Immediately covered and inverted until cool.

Appreciate any thoughts....

If you can describe your refractometer and how you use it, that would be helpful. Also, what is the temp of the syrup as you are using the refractometer?
    Just from what you wrote-- how long did the syrup sit until it was "about 200degF" ? Even off and away from heat, your syrup will continue to evaporate some while it cools. Lastly, many will associate tasting "off" with syrup defects, but you're saying it just tasted too sweet and not any objectionable flavor?
    take care, Mark

I have a refractometer from Amazon. Certainly not high end but appears accurate for both honey and maple syrup.

Ade Advanced Optics Brix Refractometer - High Measuring Range Honey tester 58%-90%. Beerkeeping, bees Tri-Scales https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008S2E4P4..._vf0Lzb9Z4BK8W

The syrup was cooled before testing, in a small cup. Warm, not hot. Don't know exact temp. I always ate the in tested portion, it was slightly warm.

The syrup sat maybe 15 minutes? I was dealing with small volumes so didn't take that long to cool.

As for taste, my wife judges better and it was she that noticed it to be sweeter than usual. Maybe 'off' isn't the right word- it wasn't bad, just not normal. Honestly, this is for personal use, so if it is safe to eat and I just need less on pancakes because it's a bit concentrated, I'm all good, but I want to know how to have consistent results. And I know there is a risk of crystallization (which I haven't yet seen).
    2014 - 5 taps
    2015 - 10 taps
    2016 - 25 taps, homemade evaporator
    2017 - 25 taps, homemade evaporator

Temperature is everything when reading a hydrometer. Look up a Maple Syrup density chart and you will see that the hydrometer reading changes big time as it cools. Your reading of 69 tells you nothing if you do not know the temperature.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

A second point, has the hydrometer ever been tested? When using a hydrometer it must always be lowered gently into the syrup, if it ever hits the bottom of the container, the paper scale inside can slide and then be wrong.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    A second point, has the hydrometer ever been tested? When using a hydrometer it must always be lowered gently into the syrup, if it ever hits the bottom of the container, the paper scale inside can slide and then be wrong.
    I agree with maple flats. Be careful not to let it hit the bottom of your test cup. Also you can get the MEP app for your phone and check different syrup temps for different brix readings. Adjust accordingly with distilled water. And recheck again.
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

Just because your syrup is 69 brix it shouldn't taste "off". And syrup should actually store better at a higher brix. I usually take my syrup up to 68-69 brix as I like it thicker. You get a little crystallizing but I don't mind. If it tastes "off" I think you have another problem.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Great points about a hydrometer guys. He used a refractometer.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Great points about a hydrometer guys. He used a refractometer.

Indeed.
    2014 - 5 taps
    2015 - 10 taps

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkis View Post
    Just because your syrup is 69 brix it shouldn't taste "off". And syrup should actually store better at a higher brix. I usually take my syrup up to 68-69 brix as I like it thicker. You get a little crystallizing but I don't mind. If it tastes "off" I think you have another problem.
    Another check with my wife (better sense of taste than myself), confirms that it simply tasted sweeter than usual. Otherwise ok.
    2014 - 5 taps
    2015 - 10 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast