+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bender tubing

Default Bender tubing

What type of tubing do I need to get to install the check valves and tee.s to my bender? I was able to find 1/2" clear vac hose for the vacuum line for the top vacuum line.
    The bottom of the glass jar has about a 3/4 or slightly bigger nipple on the glass. Can I just use 1" OD reinforced clear pvc tubing? The glass nipple has a lip around it too so I was thinking of heating the tubing up and forming it to the nipple and then installing the hose clamp.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

by reinforced do you mean braided?
    Ian McDonald
    2000 on vacuum
    1000gph cdl ro
    2.5'x12' intensofire

This is the reinforced PVC

IMG_0412.JPG
    Last edited by Bricklayer; 08-26-2017 at 05:32 AM.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I've tried that stuff before, it collapses with higher vacuum.
    Ian McDonald
    2000 on vacuum
    1000gph cdl ro
    2.5'x12' intensofire

It's really the only thing I can get to fit. Maple mainline is to stiff. There really isn't any of the tubing fully exposed to vacuum as the tubing is basically only holding the fittings. And it's only used for 1 fitting on the bottom of the bender. All others connections are rigid pvc. I'm going to try it and see how it holds up to 22". Don't plan on running the bender higher then that
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bottom fitting the dump fitting? If it is, the braided or a plain PVC will work, it should never have vacuum on it. You may want to try 7/8 ID, I think Lowes and Home Depot have it..
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the bottom fitting the dump fitting? If it is, the braided or a plain PVC will work, it should never have vacuum on it. You may want to try 7/8 ID, I think Lowes and Home Depot have it..
    The bottom fitting is both the dump and vacuum line. Off the bottom of glass jar it has a tee with a check valve and a check valve for the dump line. I really only need to connect the glass jar to the t with the tubing. The other check valve is connected to tee with such 40 pvc soI think the pvc tubing will work fine since fittings barbs will be touching each other and the tubing is basically just a union to connect them with hose clamps. Should have it set up in a couple days to try out so I will find out. I can't think of another way to connect it to the bottom of the glass bender jar.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

i use 7/8 or 1 inch inside dia. clear reinforced hose/ tubing ... i bought mine at home depot in the plumbing section it came in 12-18 inch lengths, warm it up slide it on and clamp it. and i run all my benders at 25 + in vac , i use the bottom glass nipple for the dump check valve only, i use the nipple on the side ss top hat as my intake with a check valve just before it. it works great .... all my pumps are on timers for on/off and for when they turn off i have a T just before the intake check with another checkvalve so when the pump goes off the bender jar drains fully so it wont freeze up ( ive had them freeze, they dont break , its just takes alot to thaw) and the sap can flow gravity while pump is off. good luck benders work decent for a small price
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Quote Originally Posted by WESTMAPLES View Post
    i use 7/8 or 1 inch inside dia. clear reinforced hose/ tubing ... i bought mine at home depot in the plumbing section it came in 12-18 inch lengths, warm it up slide it on and clamp it. and i run all my benders at 25 + in vac , i use the bottom glass nipple for the dump check valve only, i use the nipple on the side ss top hat as my intake with a check valve just before it. it works great .... all my pumps are on timers for on/off and for when they turn off i have a T just before the intake check with another checkvalve so when the pump goes off the bender jar drains fully so it wont freeze up ( ive had them freeze, they dont break , its just takes alot to thaw) and the sap can flow gravity while pump is off. good luck benders work decent for a small price
    I am using the 1 of the original bender check valve tees with the ball in it and I have to add another check valve for the dump. Only clear pvc check valves I can find have the spring in the flapper. Can I still use these style check valves or do I need one without springs?
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

honestly i used spring loaded CV and it truely adds alot of restriction , i changed all mine over to the clear pvc flapper style CV and liked them alot better just for the fact they had no restrictions when the sap was flowing like crazy . and if you have any issue with the bender float hanging open or boncing between cycles add more weight to the float shaft, i doubled the weight on mine so it could cycle smoothly under high vac. i put half the weight above the top clip on the float shaft and the rest right on top of the float itself .
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast