+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to tubing with some questions

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    There you go, 4 extra taps on vacuum will yield 1.5-2 gal. more syrup. Sell it by the qt and you more than pay for the extra 3/16 tubing to split it.
    No doubt! I'm going to walk it again tomorrow to see if I can squeeze in a couple more too on that side. If I'm going to be running 2 lines I may as well try and get all I can get on them.

I want to start looking and planning everything I'll need soon too... you guys think I'll be ok on 3/16 with 5/16 drop lines?
    Mick

2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

Quote Originally Posted by SSS2017 View Post
    No doubt! I'm going to walk it again tomorrow to see if I can squeeze in a couple more too on that side. If I'm going to be running 2 lines I may as well try and get all I can get on them.

I want to start looking and planning everything I'll need soon too... you guys think I'll be ok on 3/16 with 5/16 drop lines?
    On vacuum of course. I'm really leaning towards going with Mountain Maples Sap Sucker since it kinda takes care of itself and I won't be able to be out there 24/7 as a hobbyist with a full time job.
    Mick

2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Maple Jet Filter Press

I've seen some reports (or was it theory?) that 5/16 drops on 3/16 laterals is preferred. First, the drop is not long enough to generate much vacuum and second, if sap gets pulled back into the tap hole, it pulls in less contamination from the lateral because the 5/16 drop holds much more sap in itself. The majority of my drops are all 5/16 and about 70% of my laterals are 3/16. The ones in 5/16 are on areas with less total slope to the mainline. All of my mains are on vacuum.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I can see more problems than benefit from the hole idea. There was mentioned one time about digging wells and putting a pump at the bottom, but dont recall anybody trying it.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I've seen some reports (or was it theory?) that 5/16 drops on 3/16 laterals is preferred. First, the drop is not long enough to generate much vacuum and second, if sap gets pulled back into the tap hole, it pulls in less contamination from the lateral because the 5/16 drop holds much more sap in itself.
    You are correct.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thank you all for your replies and help me understanding more!!!

Maybe in the future I'll go with mainlines but for this season my plan(s) are:

2 lines of 3/16 tubing from tree to tree with 5/16 drops(24-30"). One line will have 25 taps and will run 1000', and the other will have 18 taps running 800'. Both lines will drop approximately 14' from last tree to porch.

I'm going with mountain maples sapsucker to vacuum both lines with a 12v battery and charger and a shurflo 4008 diaphragm pump.

Hopefully it all works out and we have a great season!

Just gotta find some food grade storage drums and figure out the 25 plus trees on the right side of my property now. That side only has 4' elevation change, so I either do buckets like last year, or dive in and do another pump on a battery with solar.

Thank you all again! If there's anything glaring that I missed in these 4 pages please chime in!
    Mick

Maple Jet Filter Press

I would suggest 200 gallons of storage as you can get 100+ gallons of sap on a good run and cut more wood. Most of all have fun.

I'm doing 5/16" drops on 3/16" mainlines next year as well. I had a 3/16" line with 3/16" drops using standard taps that has been a great producer in the past, but this past spring it completely stopped producing a week or two before other lines stopped, for no apparent reason. I blame on several things: lines are 4 years old and ready for replacement; I didn't flush them out well enough last year (black globs in the lines); lack of checkvalve taps; possible increased backflow from the smaller diameter drops; and pump turns off at night before lines freeze which allows backflow into the taphole. Just theories at this point. So my experiment for next year is to use 5/16" drops with checkvalve taps, to hopefully prevent backflow in 2 ways. And possibly programming my diaphragm pump controller to turn off at a lower temperature, after the lines have frozen. I also get the advantage of new tubing. Hope to be flooded in sap next year!

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    I would suggest 200 gallons of storage as you can get 100+ gallons of sap on a good run and cut more wood. Most of all have fun.
    Thanks! I am hoping for 75-100 gallons a week.

Last year on 45 buckets I averaged around 30 gallons over 7 weeks. My best run was 65 gallons in 5 days.

Any suggestions for 55 gallon drums at a decent price? I've been checking craigslist in my area to no avail so far.
    Mick

Maple Jet Filter Press

Quote Originally Posted by Biz View Post
    I'm doing 5/16" drops on 3/16" mainlines next year as well. I had a 3/16" line with 3/16" drops using standard taps that has been a great producer in the past, but this past spring it completely stopped producing a week or two before other lines stopped, for no apparent reason. I blame on several things: lines are 4 years old and ready for replacement; I didn't flush them out well enough last year (black globs in the lines); lack of checkvalve taps; possible increased backflow from the smaller diameter drops; and pump turns off at night before lines freeze which allows backflow into the taphole. Just theories at this point. So my experiment for next year is to use 5/16" drops with checkvalve taps, to hopefully prevent backflow in 2 ways. And possibly programming my diaphragm pump controller to turn off at a lower temperature, after the lines have frozen. I also get the advantage of new tubing. Hope to be flooded in sap next year!

Dave
    I thought about doing the check valve taps myself
    Mick

Maple Jet Filter Press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast