+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to tubing with some questions

Thanks guys. That's some great information! I just have to do a lot of research on pumps to wrap my head around it better.

For now from what I gather is I'm going 3/16th lines with 5/16th drops? I think 5/16th drops is what I used for my buckets last year.

Then I need to figure out if I'm going to run the extra 350' to my back porch to pump from there with power, or if I'm just going to run in my woods and go 12v with a solar panel or bring the battery in every night and put it on a trickle charger.

I can't believe how overwhelming this hobby has become in such a short amount of time. Like anything though, once you get your feet wet it's easier after that.
    Mick

2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

Maybe I lost it in reading. Are you going to run over 700' of 5/16 tubing? Is there a main line involved? If it was up to me, I would skip the last 370' of tubing and make a collection area there. Use the $$ you would spend on Main line/tubing and tension wire and supports for an extra battery. I would use a Shurflo 4048. We have one with 120 taps on it. We built ours with a thermostat and mechanical ball valve all on 12v
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

Quote Originally Posted by whity View Post
    Maybe I lost it in reading. Are you going to run over 700' of 5/16 tubing? Is there a main line involved? If it was up to me, I would skip the last 370' of tubing and make a collection area there. Use the $$ you would spend on Main line/tubing and tension wire and supports for an extra battery. I would use a Shurflo 4048. We have one with 120 taps on it. We built ours with a thermostat and mechanical ball valve all on 12v
    My plan now is to run from the back to the front one 3/16 line zig zagged from tree to tree down grade on vacuum with the with the vacuum on my porch to the collection point just a few feet past that off my porch. By running that extra 375' to the porch I get another 7' of elevation change in my favor.

I just measured everything from tree to tree and it would be 1175' of line. 1000' lengths you can get for $60.
    Mick

2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Maple Jet Filter Press

Just curious if anyone in this situation (limited elevation drop) has tried digging a hole and placing your collection tank in it. Best case would be to construct a small 'bunker' below ground, but even an open hole should work. I have this problem in part of my bush. My plan is to borrow my buddies mini excavator and dig a good 10' deep hole. Its only gonna cost me a 12 pack of beer to gain 10' in drop...Anyone see a problem with this???

Quote Originally Posted by lewichuk19 View Post
    Just curious if anyone in this situation (limited elevation drop) has tried digging a hole and placing your collection tank in it. Best case would be to construct a small 'bunker' below ground, but even an open hole should work. I have this problem in part of my bush. My plan is to borrow my buddies mini excavator and dig a good 10' deep hole. Its only gonna cost me a 12 pack of beer to gain 10' in drop...Anyone see a problem with this???
    Nope, as long as you can pump it out of the tank and still have the ability to clean it.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

So I should not have a problem running 1000' of 3/16 and 35 taps with a pump correct? I really like mountain maples sap sucker for my application!
    Mick

Maple Jet Filter Press

Quote Originally Posted by lewichuk19 View Post
    I have dug out holes for my tanks to increase the drop. How is the drainage from the area? A hole full of water will float your tank.

While I have one line with 41 taps, I suspect on the best flow days I may be losing some potential. Rather than 35 taps, I'd suggest you go 2 lines rather than 1. I'm going to split my one with 41, I think my next highest is only 31 or 32 taps. I had a few with over 35 2 seasons ago, I got all but that one split for this past season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    While I have one line with 41 taps, I suspect on the best flow days I may be losing some potential. Rather than 35 taps, I'd suggest you go 2 lines rather than 1. I'm going to split my one with 41, I think my next highest is only 31 or 32 taps. I had a few with over 35 2 seasons ago, I got all but that one split for this past season.
    That may actually work better for me. More tubing but I can add the 4 or 5 extra trees I was thinking about adding.
    Mick

Maple Jet Filter Press

There you go, 4 extra taps on vacuum will yield 1.5-2 gal. more syrup. Sell it by the qt and you more than pay for the extra 3/16 tubing to split it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast