+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pumping height for RO

Default Pumping height for RO

Hi all

Doing some sugar house replumbing this fall and I would like to ask the experts if my RO should be able to pump concentrate up 5 feet from the outlet of the RO to the head tank. Im thinking it shouldn't be a problem, but would like some feedback. I have a procon 330 pump dual MES membranes if that helps.

Thanks
    Darrell
    Powered by oil fired 3X8 Lapierre cooker
    1478 taps
    330 GPH RO
    H20 Auto Drawoff
    10" cdl Filter Press
    2 adult kids
    Dog
    "memories of the old way"
    Kioti CK27
    Www.halladaymaple.ca

same set up here but i use xle4040s and pump up 8ft no problems
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

My deer run pumps 14 feet up, not a problem
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

An RO has no problem pumping concentrate up. My guess is that a huge majority of RO's are set up to fill the head tank, and that at times might be even 20-30' higher if the RO is in a basement and the sugar house uphill from that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

ok then, I wont worry to much about it. Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this topic

Darrell
    Powered by oil fired 3X8 Lapierre cooker
    1478 taps
    330 GPH RO
    H20 Auto Drawoff
    10" cdl Filter Press
    2 adult kids
    Dog
    "memories of the old way"
    Kioti CK27
    Www.halladaymaple.ca

Just realize, the RO is using high pressure to force water thru a membrane, once thru it still has essentially similar pressure potential, but you will never need that much to push the concentrate up to an elevated tank without having that tank a very long distance above the ro.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

As Dave said an RO works by putting pressure on the concentrate flow and forcing the water through the membrane. 20 feet of head on your concentrate line creates 8.67 psi so it will not be noticed while operating. Even having the permeate go to an elevated tank should not cause a problem as 10 feet would only decrease your pressure differential about 4 psi.

Just be sure that you slope them all so that you can drain if the pipes will be out in the cold. you would hate to have a low spot frozen solid.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

We have a CDL 250 Hobby RO and pump up 7' from the point of exit from the RO. We draw from about 3' below the RO. There is plenty of psi in the line and I would like to think I could pump up at least 15' or so. We plump into PVC after about a 6' horizontal from from the tubing. I would go for it, keeping in mind the need to thoroughly drain it to avoid freezing in the pipe.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

+ Reply to Thread