+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Grafted maples?

Default Grafted maples?

I've got ~20 taps in my backyard and am planning for the next generation of trees (should be ready to tap by the time I retire!). I saw potted sugar maples (~1-1.5") on clearance at Lowes so I bought a few. But when I got them home and took the wrap off the trunk, it looks like they've been grafted. Anyone know why they'd do that or have any experience with grafted maples? My plan is to rig a mini-tap next season to see what % they produce and go from there.

I bought 40 at Walmart this spring and they were all grafted. Makes me wonder if I can graft rock maple onto something with an established root base and kick start a acer sacrum into growing faster
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

The University of Vermont did a study with grafting sugar maples onto Sycamore maple rootstock (they can survive in higher salt environments than sugar maples) to determine if a sugar maple could be grown that is salt tolerant. The experiment was successful.
    I wonder if the root stock on the grafted sugar maples was sycamore maple, a maple that does well in areas where road salts and sidewalk salts would kill a sugarmaple on it's natural roots.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Interesting if a sugar maple was grafted onto a popular root stock would it still be a sugar maple
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Maplemaniac, it is my understanding that to graft the trees have to be a similar type of tree, so whatever you grafted would have to be a maple variety also.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

I have never grafted before

I've grafted but only on fruit trees.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I do a lot of fruit grafts never maple. If you use maple root stock, red, silver, norway etc, I think it would take well. Never tried as we have plenty of all ages in my bush. I might try some for kicks next spring.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

+ Reply to Thread