+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Didn't get the RO stored correctly yet, am I in trouble?

Default Didn't get the RO stored correctly yet, am I in trouble?

We finished boiling the end of march and got everything cleaned up. I always rinse and wash my RO at the end of each day and flush with distilled water. Was going to wait to add the preservative in it because I was waiting on a new pressure switch and wanted to get everything cleaned. Well life happened and dad and I went to the barn this morning and there the RO sits. No preservative in it and its august. Have I ruined my membrane? What should I do? Add it now and hope it's ok? Thanks for the ideas.
    1986-2002 2x6 Leader evaporator 150 taps drop tubes
    Life happens
    2015 130 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2016 225 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2017 300+? MicRO single membrane
    2019 325 taps 81 gallons made, most ever for us
    2020 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator 400 taps with 160 on a guzzler pump
    2021..... a lot more line and vacuum

Wash it according to the owner's manual except I'd suggest running it thru 2x the whole process and then after the final permeate rinse, open the vessel and check for off odors. If it smells bad, it might still be salvaged by getting a professional cleaning by Lapierre or any other company that offers the service. Just keep your fingers crossed, talk real nice to the GUY ABOVE and hope for the best.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It might be ruined. But I'd bet that it isn't. If after your next thorough cleaning it don't work well (bad flow, stinks, etc...) just the MEMBRANE might be shot. They're not terribly expensive, and the rest of the RO should be fine. Not a world ending scenario in my opinion. Maybe not an experience to be repeated, but not disaster. More probable is that it'll be fine after that Flats style thorough cleaning. May be a slight reduced flow but should work ok I'd think. Just my opinion! good luck.

If you washed when you were done and rinsed it with distilled water, you should be ok. You would have already removed any sugar or bacteria that would make it go bad. Like Maple Flats said wash and rinse good and you should be all set to go.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread