+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a Business in Maple Syrup

Default Starting a Business in Maple Syrup

Has anyone felt uneasy about getting into the maple syrup business? We have a 240 acre farm with a approximately 300 trees that are accessible with a system where we have to pick up sap at two different locations on a vacuum system. We also have another 100 trees further out that might not be cost effective to collect with a vacuum system. Our plan is to invest in more areas to get syrup, but we are on the fence with whether or not this is going to be worth our efforts. I firmly believe that planting trees now would be a good longer term investment that would boost production significantly, but we need to be able to create a sustainable operation for the short time. I think selling the syrup is probably our biggest concern since we are not sure how easy it would be to sell 100-500 gallons of syrup at a profitable price. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

If you can sell everything retail than you could break even but look at the investment, at the current price of bulk I would not invest in a new setup unless there is an existing business in place so you're not taking the full risk of the investment.

What's the cost of the equipment versus the number of trees and don't forget to include your time (assuming you are not working for free).

At a couple hundred trees it may not be economical depending on how much you're investing. Any expansion we've done I've built a pros and cons list as well as treated it like an investment and would not invest if I couldn't see a return in 2-5 years.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't venture forward, I was a hobby producer for many years and donated my time and any earnings went back into my hobby. If you enjoy it as a hobby then do it, but if you want a business then it has to be looked at as a business.
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

The best way to make a small fortune in sugaring is to start out with a large fortune.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Probably doesn't apply to your situation, but where I live we just found out that woodlands are bringing $3600 per acre. I asked the specific question in another forum as to how such an investment will pencil with - $2.00 /lb. syrup and people all over wanting to tap trees yet? Noone has yet answered the question because quite frankly I don't see it penciling out. Since you already have the land, and assuming it is paid for, then you'd just have the equipment. Around my area the market is saturated with people trying to sell syrup. It is good on one hand that it is readily avaliable, but many think that they can still get $15 per quart. IMO, prices need to be lowered in order to get more syrup on more tables. I can't see spending all my free time trying to sell all of my syrup retail, and selling for less than my neighbor(s), when I could be working overtime and get paid 3 or 4 times better for my time. So you sell it bulk, take the hit, and wonder how long your going to keep doing this?
    Last edited by markcasper; 08-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Is there a producer near by that would buy the sap? Woods are cheap to set up compared to a sugar house!!
    30x8 leader inferno
    1800 on a liquid ring pump
    250 on a guzzler
    100 on a shurflo

As others have said, at anything less than a few thousand taps you're more of a hobby than a business. Set your goals on breaking even if you don't include your time over the long term. A 0.5 G/tap syrup is a respectable number on vacuum. Assuming you can hit that, you're talking about 200-300 gallons/year depending on how many actual taps you have. If you can do it al retail you'll make out OK but to pay off your initial investment will take a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maplemas View Post
    Is there a producer near by that would buy the sap? Woods are cheap to set up compared to a sugar house!!
    Ugh, you are not kidding. I just started my sugar house project. Just a basic, classic, 16x24 and it's going to end up being a lot more than I expected. Oh well. Nothing is cheap and it's only money and I have a day job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where you live in MN, but I would be interested in buying your sap. Message me if your interested.

Making a profit in syrup takes lots of time and loads of work, along with doing everything right. A small operation is hard pressed to break even. To make a business of it you need several thousand taps and you need to sell a rather large portion at retail. Investments are large, sugar house, evaporator, storage tanks (stainless), filter press, vacuum pump(s), Reverse Osmosis, tubing, taps, fuel to boil, insurance, equipment to haul sap unless all sap can be run to the sugar house. These things just scratch the surface, other expenses will add to those.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is far from a quick income plan, the first 10-15 years it may not even break even.
    That being said, on this forum there are members who make a full time income on as few as 5000 taps, but 10,000 is often considered a minimum for making a syrup operation your sole income.
    Most of use make syrup because we are addicted to doing maple, it's a sickness with no known cure but rarely fatal.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We started sugaring 15 years ago. It was pure enthusiasm that got us started. No regrets. Lots of time, investment and 5000 gallons of syrup later we have made enough money to own some old equipment. Do it if you want to try it but don't go into it for the money. If you own a 240 acre farm 300-400 taps aint gonna make a bit of difference in the budget for real estate that size. If you could get up to 3-4000 then it might be worth it if the bulk price goes up. What else do you do on ground that big...hay, cows, crops?
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast