+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WX 10 real world GPM

Default WX 10 real world GPM

Looking at a WX 10 and was wondering how well it pumps sap over a distance of say 600 feet, I would only be raising about 10feet at the pump and 2% slope down after to my pickup point. Just trying to figure out length of runtime needed.
    Thank you for thoughts
    Robert

It's a great little pump. I'm getting somewhere around 8-10 gpm pushing 600' 45-50' up. In a 1"line. Doesn't seem like much but it's a whole lot better than two buckets. I'd think you'd get better than 15 gpm or more. Good luck
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Great little pump. We're pushing sap up a 1 inch line, 500 feet with a fifty foot rise directly out of the collection tank. About 10 gallons a minute.
    Last edited by foursapsyrup1; 07-29-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    2 x 6 W F Mason arch, Leader WSE AUF drop flue pans
    40 taps 2009-
    New 16 x 16 sugar shack 2010
    180 taps 2012 -
    200 taps 2013 -
    220 taps 2014 -
    250 taps 2015 -
    300 taps 2024
    shurflo pump 2016 -
    new mainlines and saddles 300 taps 2017-
    added Deer Run 125 RO, Lapierre 7 inch filter press and CDL water jacket canning unit in 2019
    Bombardier 400
    BX 22 Kubota
    2024 is our 29th year making the " nectar of the gods"
    Just a hobby

Too many variables. The suction hose diameter and lift have huge bearing on performance, after the pump line size, distance and lift affect the end results but not quite as much as on the suction side.
    That being said, the WX10 is a great pump from all reports.
    I use it's big brother the WX15. On that one I'm only pumping thru 70' of line, all 1.5", with 38' suction and 2 elbows 90 degree in rigid PVC pipe, then 15' 1.5" PVC hose, then the pump and then 20' more PVC 1.5" hose. On the suction end I have 7' lift to the high point and then 3' drop to the pump. One the push after the pump I have 6' lift. With all of that it takes me 14 minutes to pump 560 gal. That's on a pump rated to move 100 liters per minute (26.4 gpm), a WX10 is rated at about 55-60% of that at my lift.
    If you need faster, get the pump closer to the source and/or use a larger suction line. If you still need faster, use 1 size larger transfer line (after the pump). This being said, IMHO you will have one of the best 1" pumps available for the job.
    Back when I grew commercial strawberries and had to irrigate 3.5 acres for frost protection I used an 11 HP fire pump. It was a 3" pump but my suction line was 4". Thru my system it was rated to run 46 sprinklers and I had 43. Had I used a 3" suction line I could have only handled 37 sprinklers with the same pump and distribution lines because each sprinkler had to get 60 PSI to perform correctly and to get the needed coverage. By the way, on the pressure side, I had a 4" mainline too up to the first split, then it was 3" and finally the down the row lines were 2". The important thing is line friction, distance, lift and available pressure.
    If you Google a performance curve for a Honda WX10 you will get a chart. Then with that you need to determine lift and line friction to guestimate GPM. Line friction charts are also available online. If using maple tubing, it is among the lowest line frictions for each given size because it is very smooth inside, but going 1 size larger makes a huge difference (in both flow and price) over 600' distance. You just need to decide if speed or price are more critical and balance between the two.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Robert:

I recently put together an Excel spreadsheet for this type of calculation, for designing a pump for a large lift.

I got the performance curves for a WX10 and WX15 from the Honda website.
    I used a plastic pipe that was 600 ft long and went up 10 ft and then down 12, 3 different pipe diameters (.75, 1.0, 1.25

By my calculations, WX10 = 7.5 gpm in 0.75 pipe; 14.5 in 1.0 pipe and 21 in 1.25 pipe.
    WX15 = 8 gpm in 0.75, 17 gpm in 1.0 and 29 gpm in 1.25.

Keith

Can send spreadsheet when I get back from vacationing

I am seeing a trend here, just the same as with vacuum. The bigger pipe diameter reduces Line friction and allows increased flow. I think the extra money would be justified to use a 1 1/4 pipe versus smaller pipe on that distance.
    Thank you everyone for your responses and input, much appreciated
    Robert

Yes it would, and if you need to use a coupling to get that length, using an insert SS fitting will lose less. The insert plastic fittings are much thicker and consequently slow the flow more. Generally you might have a fitting on each end and however many couplings you need to make the distance, each insert fitting on plastic reduces the flow. If it was a much shorter run those loses would not be as important, but with a 600' line it is more significant. Lapierre sells barbed fittings in SS, others might too. They have a very small shoulder along with being slightly larger outside diameter to cause little if any loss of volume.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Another consideration on pipe size is if there will be sap sitting in the line or draining back. Bigger pipe more sap volume.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

+ Reply to Thread