+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3x6 open pan

Default 3x6 open pan

I currently have a 3x6' open pan. I am wondering what i can do to improve it. I have not used it yet, the pan I used last year was over a foot deep in the center, and almost 4x4' i do plan on using propane to cook it, as i do it in my mother in laws garage. i will probably have 3 double burners underneath it. again, anything that can help, i will consider it. thanks.

anyone have any input on this setup?

Look up the thread by Warners point 2-27-2011 "2 x 4 drop tube flue pan" under the boiling forum. I have not seen one being used but thought it was an excellent idea to increase your boil rate. You would probably have to weld a skirt around the outside bottom of your pan, the drop tubes would sit on the burner and the skirt would keep the heat under the pan on the drop flues. You might have to make some heat exit slices in the skirt or something, but I guess that a little experimenting would tell you. I would think that even drop tubes 3"-5" would greatly increase your boil. Just a thought.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Make sure that the garage is well ventilated with all that propane burning and to get rid of the steam. It will be costly on propane but you will be making syrup. Run the pan shallow if possible to increase evaporation rate and slowly add as you go. You may be better off looking at making a block arch outside and burning wood. There are many threads on building these. Good luck with it and have fun.

+ Reply to Thread