+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Herbicide Application Program by New Hampshire Electric Co-op

Default Herbicide Application Program by New Hampshire Electric Co-op

I was notified yesterday that Vegetation Control Services, Inc. contracted by the New Hampshire Electric Co-op will be on my land in a couple weeks "applying" a herbicide under the power-lines that run power to our home. The power line is parallel to my primary mainline and very close to my conductor mainlines. I'm concerned about a potential impact that herbicides will have on my maple tree's...some as close as 50 feet from were they want to apply it. Any thoughts from those that have had to deal with this issue?

I should mention that a tree contractor for NHEC also came through about a month ago and cut EVERYTHING down to the ground under the power lines and took a pretty wide swath right up to our mainline. They actually cut tree's down on the outside of the mainline that were not even close to being under the power lines. They essentially cut everything down that could touch the lines had they fallen...including maple trees. They never asked permission or even notified us...I came home from work one day and the cutting had already been done. We contacted the representative from the Electric Co-op and they are just unresponsive and unapologetic.

This line goes right up through the middle of our property!

Thoughts....
    Hawkins Sugar House
    Sunapee, NH
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf, raised flu
    3 Hp Atlantic Fluids Vacuum
    500 taps

Measure the right away....
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Contact someone else at the Coop. I have found them to be good to deal with in the past. Much better than any of the other power companies in the state.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

They likely cleared the entire ROW. If you think they overstepped their bounds check on it. Contact them about the spraying, they should be able to skip that section for you. We talked to the crew that does spraying around the big bush we work in and they already knew of the sugar operation. They had all agricultural lands in Maine mapped. Was glad to hear they knew about it. They said they would wait for the right wind direction to spray and not get too close. This is a 5400 tap operation, I'm sure they don't know about all the little guys but should work with you if they know about it.

If a tree crew recently cleared the right of way then the herbicide application will be a cut stump treatment. Meaning it is selective and targeted to specific stumps and not broadcasted across the ground/vegetation. Will not have any impact to your maples, especially if they are 50' away.
    Miscoe Hill Maple
    2015 PJ Evaporator (Phaneuf) 2x6 drop flue
    2x6 WF Mason Arch
    ~250 taps on a Guzzler & Shurflo
    12x20 WF Mason Filter/Canner
    12x16 Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by bstewar View Post
    If a tree crew recently cleared the right of way then the herbicide application will be a cut stump treatment. Meaning it is selective and targeted to specific stumps and not broadcasted across the ground/vegetation. Will not have any impact to your maples, especially if they are 50' away.
    Unless you are certified organic. That's a no go for organic.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Unless you are certified organic. That's a no go for organic.
    In some places you can ask (or insist) that no pesticides are used on your land and that only manual removal be performed. To be on the safe side, be around when the crew comes.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:39 PM.

+ Reply to Thread