+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fine sediment in bottom of syrup bottle

Quote Originally Posted by whity View Post
    I would try using 4 pre filters. When you wash them make sure you use hot water and rinse with cold water. Don't wring them out. Also make sure they are moist and warm before filtering. We will start with 7 pre filter and a finish filter in our flat filter canner. Pull filters as they plug up. Finish the night with still 4 pre filters
    I hadn't heard about wash hot then rinse cold before. I just use hot water all the way through. What does the cold water do?
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
    I hadn't heard about wash hot then rinse cold before. I just use hot water all the way through. What does the cold water do?
    We use cold water rinse to get rid of sediment that still sticks to the filter. They look clean till you hit them with the cold water and see a fine brown residue just float away. With the spray nozzle of course.

The cold rinse is new to me as well, but I'll certainly give it a try. This old dog will still try to learn new tricks. Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by whity View Post
    I would try using 4 pre filters. When you wash them make sure you use hot water and rinse with cold water. Don't wring them out. Also make sure they are moist and warm before filtering. We will start with 7 pre filter and a finish filter in our flat filter canner. Pull filters as they plug up. Finish the night with still 4 pre filters
    Thanks Whity.

I use 2 pre-filters and a finish filter. And it seems to take the syrup forever to drain completely. I can't even imagine how long it would take with 7 pre-filters.

What kind of pre-filters do you use?

thanks

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Are your pre filters hot?are your prefilters damp/moist? The syrup should go through the prefilters rather quickly at first, as it starts to slow you need to pull off the top one and continue filtering until it slows.I've put up to 10 gallons or more through one flat felt filter and using roughly 7-8 prefilters, even when we used cone filters we could get 3 gallons through them.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by mspina14 View Post
    Thanks Whity.

I use 2 pre-filters and a finish filter. And it seems to take the syrup forever to drain completely. I can't even imagine how long it would take with 7 pre-filters.

What kind of pre-filters do you use?

thanks

Mark
    We use the flat prefilters you get at Bascoms. They come in various sizes. Just cut them to fit so they wrap up and over the sides of your filter tray. Not just to lay on the bottom. They need to go up the sides and over the side of the tray.
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    Are your pre filters hot?are your prefilters damp/moist? The syrup should go through the prefilters rather quickly at first, as it starts to slow you need to pull off the top one and continue filtering until it slows.I've put up to 10 gallons or more through one flat felt filter and using roughly 7-8 prefilters, even when we used cone filters we could get 3 gallons through them.
    Nate is correct, They need to be wet and hot to filter well. We clean ours daily and hang them over the front pan to stay hot/warm from the steam
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

Last season I dipped the pre-filters in the boiling sap in the sap pan before using them in the filter tank. Got them good and wet (and burned my hand on the boiling sap in the process).

Should that work as well as steaming them?

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by mspina14 View Post
    Last season I dipped the pre-filters in the boiling sap in the sap pan before using them in the filter tank. Got them good and wet (and burned my hand on the boiling sap in the process).

Should that work as well as steaming them?

Mark
    should work fine

Only problem I can see with that is you have the potential to contaminate your filters with whatever is floating around in your sap pan, including dust/debris/I get a fair amount of niter in mine. Are you wetting your felt with boiling sap also?
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast