+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone Wash Away????

Default Anyone Wash Away????

How did everyone make out during the strong storms yesterday in New England and New York? Fortunately for us the worst of it went just north of us. We got some hard rain and thunder but had worse 2 weeks ago when we got 5-1/2" in 4 hours.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

For sure, some nasty storm cells around. Mostly missed our location but others nearby got some pretty hard hits.

Wow, what a storm. I didn't have a rain gauge out, but it was a torrential downpour 2 or 3 times yesterday where we were. All day it was rain, then maybe 30 minutes no rain then rain again, all of the worst downpours were in the afternoon. We were at a camp grounds near Morrisville NY, in North Central Madison County, NY. I had our motor home plugged into the power pole at the camp site, we never lost power but I'm not sure why. I looked out at one point shortly after one of the harder downpours and the transformer/voltage protector in use to ensure I get good voltage, was in about 2" of water and the adapter cord converting from 4 prong to 3 prong, where my 3 prong supply cord for the motorhome was plugged into it, was completely under water. I thought for sure it would trip he power source breaker but it didn't. After about 2 hrs the water level went down enough that I went out and shut off the breaker. Then I raised the transformer and connection about 6" and turned the breaker back on. I got a call shortly after from one of my daughters saying that all roads in the county were closed until the bridges, culverts and such could be checked for damage. I hear some were determined not safe. On the way home this morning we saw several places where large quantities of mud/ rocks and debris had been washed onto or over the road. In several places there were remnants of raod flares where roads had been closed yesterday, but on our route home they were all reopened. That's good, getting a 34' class A motorhome (older) around washouts and having to reroute would not have been easy. We did however see a great fireworks display later last evening, celebrating the 4th early, I can't figure how a small campground (50 some sights) can afford to put on such a good fireworks, but this is the second time we've been there on fireworks night, last year was the first, and we did not know about the fireworks until after we arrived there last year. Before that we had not been there in about 20-25 years.
    I also hope everyone suffered no damage from the rain.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Lots of roads washed out just north of here. The National Weather Service out of Grey Maine issued 7 tornado warnings yesterday breaking records of tornado warnings issued by that office. The last record was 6 in a year, not a day. I was hoping N8Hutch checks in because I heard his area was one were they thought a tornado touched down and lots of roads washed and flooded.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Neighbor had 5" plus in his rain gauge last night, I was in Charlestown for a Family Reunion "wifes" so we were not home , got home tonight, rivers are running high sounds like 2 tornadoes touched down, one of them was only 10 miles away the other about 20, seems like most of the damage is right around the Moose pond , long Lake region of Maine. Pretty cool picture of a Water spout on the WCSH 6 website, that's on Sebago lake I believe.

We did come through Bethlehem NH on the way home and there was substantial damage to their infrastructure, but it's built on a hill too, So not all that surprising. That was about the worst I saw today and we took the scenic route home from Charlestown.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

It came through here Fri afternoon. A fair sized oak came down out back. It's not where it's a big deal. 4 telephone poles came down at the end of the road, they're still working on them. Luckily, it's not a big deal detour for me.

Is it just me, or has the weather become far more active the last 2 years? Global warming? I doubted it for a long time but now I'm seeing the light. I didn't really doubt that the earth was warming, I doubted it was the result of human activity. The earth has swung back and forth for millions of years, long before there were people or at least enough people to have any affect. I always thought it was caused by volcanic activity and meteorite (or asteroid) impacts, one volcanic eruption spews more bad into the air in a day than humans can in a decade and there are volcanoes erupting someplace all the time. If that activity increases, the earth temperature changes because the atmosphere changes.
    At one time, Alaska had lush vegetation and huge plant eating dinosaurs.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

In Potsdam, NY it rained HARD five times in a two hour period...three inches overwhelmed our sewer system here and put six inches of nastiness on my basement floor.

Been there had that, in a rental property I owned at the time. Clean it using hydrated lime and use nitrile or latex gloves. Never pleasant to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Is it just me, or has the weather become far more active the last 2 years? Global warming? I doubted it for a long time but now I'm seeing the light. I didn't really doubt that the earth was warming, I doubted it was the result of human activity. The earth has swung back and forth for millions of years, long before there were people or at least enough people to have any affect. I always thought it was caused by volcanic activity and meteorite (or asteroid) impacts, one volcanic eruption spews more bad into the air in a day than humans can in a decade and there are volcanoes erupting someplace all the time. If that activity increases, the earth temperature changes because the atmosphere changes.
    At one time, Alaska had lush vegetation and huge plant eating dinosaurs.
    And to think just a year ago it was a bad drought in NY. Who knows? Maybe the polar vortex will back again this winter followed by another quick maple season like 2015. Or maybe it will be 70F in February again like this year.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

+ Reply to Thread