+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this syrup ok to consume?

Default Is this syrup ok to consume?

I made and bottled this in March. It has what appears to be both niter and mold growing at the bottom. See enclosed pictures . . I hope it comes out well. Is it salvageable? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that's just niter or maybe crystals beginning to form on the bottom. Mold usually grows on top where there is a little air.

If it's niter, pour off carefully into another container leaving the niter behind. Eating it won't harm you. If it's crystals, the syrup is heavy and can be corrected by adding a little water - or you can just use it as is.

I grew up in the Lowell Area and have eaten far worse looking stuff.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Slowly pour the syrup off and catch what's on the bottom and rub between fingers. If the substance in the bottom is gritty (even a little gritty) it's niter...if it's mushy and slimy it's mold.
    150 on 12v Shurflo pump
    250 buckets

It looks whitish, did you filter it using diatomaceous earth? If yes, what did you try to trap the DE in/ You might not have gotten all of the DE. A syrup filter if not wrung (by twisting) will not let the DE pass. If it is a growth, boiling may help, and skim it before and after boiling.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread