+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help identifying bottled syrup issue.

Default Help identifying bottled syrup issue.

I should know the answer to this! Kind of embarrassed to ask. I have a jug of syrup on the shelf that has the sides "sucked in". I'm guessing some kind of contamination in the bottle? Fermented? Have not cracked it open yet to check. I have scores of other bottles and they are all good. It's all from this spring. Thought it was weird that this one random bacon jug is like this. Never had it happen before.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

I'm new to sugaring but I'm pretty good at physics. So I'll offer up my 2 cents:
    - it can't be an organic reaction because that would create gas and expand your container.
    - it seems more likely that there was enough empty headspace over the warm syrup when it was bottled that it created a vacuum when it cooled that was enough to cave in the container.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I agree with Ken. Perhaps you thought the jug was full but really had excess foam in it causing a void.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

I had this same problem with the Bacon Jugs in particular the half gallons, I would fill them rim full with 190-195 syrup and when it cooled a combination of the syrup shrinking and the cooling would suck the sides in, switchEd to a different brand of container and it hasn't been a problem.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

That is not a jug manufacturer type issue. You either had foam or over filled the jug, and your temp was too hot. Don't fill at over 190 and don't fill all the way to the top of the neck, filling at 184-188 is best. A full measure is just at the bottom of where the cap threads start. If you fill above that you leave no space for a vacuum to occupy and then the sides of the jug are sucked in. If you have a truly accurate scales, weigh the jug as filled and subtract the weight of an empty jug. Should be 11 lbs. If you don't have that accurate of a scale this will not work and if density is off too much it won't either.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Your certainly welcome to your opinion Dave, I have never had an issue with any other container, just the Half Gallons, I always check the Density of the syrup before I fill containers, generally it's a cold test. Regardless I have had that problem with multiple Batches of half gallons, so I gave a different container a try, used the samend
    Methods and no problems since, my target heat temp is 190 but as you know I'm sure it's not always that easy to maintain exact temp.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I run syrup through filter press at boiling and often bottle at temps over 200 and have never had an issue with a jug sucking in with either Les Cruchon or Sugarhill which are only 2 brands I have ever used. I shoot for a target temp of around 190 but for first third of batch temps are much higher usually until it cools off some. I bottled many thousands of bottles in last 15 years like this and have no nitre issues either in plastic or glass because the syrup is that temp coming through the press.
    Last edited by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER; 07-01-2017 at 07:53 AM.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

OK, that was just my thoughts. I've never had any suck the sides it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

No worries Dave, guess I may have come off a little dismissive, didn't intend to do that, I Value your opinion and ideas , it's all good stuff. Maybe I was doing something wrong but it's working for me know, I agree best thing to do would be to fill them bye weight not volume but I haven't gotten that far.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread