+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the Maple Trees?

Michael, thanks for your input on this subject. Here is Ohio we had it bad last summer--small leaves with brown curled margins. Maybe 50% normal leaf canopy. People here are still debating what conditions led to it.....very wet 2017 spring after 2016 drought? But I think your idea of very heavy mast year makes sense. Yes, EVERY species went nuts (literally) in 2017. Hadn't made the connection. And yes, as I feared, our sugar is way down. Normal brix is 2.1-2.5. Currently I am measuring 1.6-1.8. Big bummer. Don't feel too bad about your 2.5!
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

Here's a bit more. Now that we're at the middle of the season, I'm comparing numbers with the last couple years. Over the last two years I handled a bit over 4000 gallons of sap and made 120 to 125 gallons of syrup. This year I have cooked 4052 gallons of sap so far and have only 70 gallons of syrup to show for it. Low sugar percentages are doing a job on my wood-pile.

Now some brighter news. Last summer saw decent rainfall around here, and this spring has been mild and fair (maybe a little late), but the new leaves on my trees are big and broad, and the trees look very well filled out. Let's cross our fingers that the weather allows the Maples to fully recover.

worms are back
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

They are hatching out here, too. The caterpillars are very noticeably fewer here, though this year. Last year they were all over everything - the house, the cars, everything. This year I only see them here and there, so hopefully that damp period we had here last summer just as they were about to go into cocoons and the damp spring we are having now is nailing them. The next couple of weeks will tell.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Ours were back - but the low flying helicopter last Thursday took care of them! I know several producers who didn't spray last year and their sugar content was half of normal this spring.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I'm pretty much new to this, what worms or caterpillars and what are you spraying them with?

I'm not noticing any yet but I was not looking for them either.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

Forest tent caterpillars
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

In no way do I mean this to be a bad thing. I have never seen or heard of any insect infestation in Wisconsin. Is there something about the northeast that attracts them? I know they spray for gypsy moths in some areas of the state, but have never heard of any widespread problems like out east. I mean in the 80's it was the pear thrips and it seems like every other year there is gypsy moth, forest tent caterpillar, etc... Just wondering b/c I always thought it to be strange that it seems confined to out east. And now watch by me saying this I will get a tornado tonight..........
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    In no way do I mean this to be a bad thing. I have never seen or heard of any insect infestation in Wisconsin. Is there something about the northeast that attracts them? I know they spray for gypsy moths in some areas of the state, but have never heard of any widespread problems like out east. I mean in the 80's it was the pear thrips and it seems like every other year there is gypsy moth, forest tent caterpillar, etc... Just wondering b/c I always thought it to be strange that it seems confined to out east. And now watch by me saying this I will get a tornado tonight..........
    I think it has more to do with origin. The gypsy moth was originally released in Massachusetts and it's spread from there. It will eventually be in Wisconsin. We haven't had a problem since the 80s until last year but that was due to 2 dry years which prevented a fungus/virus combination from attacking them and they had a banner year in spots, like around me.

Tent caterpillars are different. They are naturally occurring and their range just must not include Wisconsin. They rarely wipe out huge areas like the gypsy moth.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast