+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bourbon barrel aged syrup (in New York State)

Jake, I read the letter from Ag & Markets that was in a recent issue of The Pipeline and they mention nothing about having the product tested. I have ordered labels from a local print shop with all the information Helen and Ag & Markets said should be on the label. When I get them back, I'll post a picture of what I had printed.
    I'm putting it in 200 ml (6.67 fl oz) glass and I'm going to start with a $12.00 price. After my first batch, I'll decide if the price is right, too low or too high based on how well it sells. I'm thinking maybe a quantity discount but haven't decided on that yet (maybe 6 or more @ $11.00 or something like that.)
    My understanding is that much of it is used for ice cream topping, coffee sweetener and things like that. Bourbon Barrel Aged maple Syrup might not only be for breakfast anymore.
    I've been told that it sells out rather quickly, but that's from producers who do farmer's markets, I don't anymore. Time will tell.
    Last edited by maple flats; 06-30-2017 at 06:58 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Doing the math you would need 13 ounces of 100 proof bourbon left in a 5 gallon keg to have 2% alcohol in it. Seeing as alcohol boils off at 173 degrees F, there should be nothing left after heating to bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Jake, I read the letter from Ag & Markets that was in a recent issue of The Pipeline and they mention nothing about having the product tested. I have ordered labels from a local print shop with all the information Helen and Ag & Markets said should be on the label. When I get them back, I'll post a picture of what I had printed.
    I'm putting it in 200 ml (6.67 fl oz) glass and I'm going to start with a $12.00 price. After my first batch, I'll decide if the price is right, too low or too high based on how well it sells. I'm thinking maybe a quantity discount but haven't decided on that yet (maybe 6 or more @ $11.00 or something like that.)
    My understanding is that much of it is used for ice cream topping, coffee sweetener and things like that. Bourbon Barrel Aged maple Syrup might not only be for breakfast anymore.
    I've been told that it sells out rather quickly, but that's from producers who do farmer's markets, I don't anymore. Time will tell.
    Sorry Dave. I was just going off what was being recommended to the first producers that started marketing the bourbon syrup. Didn't realize new literature was out by ag and markets.
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    Doing the math you would need 13 ounces of 100 proof bourbon left in a 5 gallon keg to have 2% alcohol in it. Seeing as alcohol boils off at 173 degrees F, there should be nothing left after heating to bottle.
    This makes me feel better. Thank you.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

I just filled a 5 gallon barrel and got wondering, what do you do between batches? With limited access to clean the barrel what do you bourbon barrel syrup ages do after emptying the barrel. I wold hate to have mold move in.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

It's my understanding the barrels are only good for one use to make bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. Then I will be cutting them in half and selling them as planters, coffee tables or stools.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleCamp View Post
    I just filled a 5 gallon barrel and got wondering, what do you do between batches? With limited access to clean the barrel what do you bourbon barrel syrup ages do after emptying the barrel. I wold hate to have mold move in.
    I consider the barrels a one time use. The high sugar content will breed bacteria almost instantly. My barrels are all spoken for months before I empty them.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Why can't they be washed out with steam, charred again then more bourbon put in them.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Try it and report back. The barrels I use were used recently to make bourbon, I do not add any bourbon, in fact I drain any residue that is in the bbl, then I fill it with hot maple syrup. The flavor that is gotten in the maple syrup comes from what little bourbon there is in the char. I drain any liquid bourbon out so the alcohol content is very low. Each barrel seems to contain a varying amount of bourbon even though they were emptied. It was likely in the char and ran out after the barrel was emptied at the distillery.
    According to what I read in the letter from NYS Ag and Markets, you can make bourbon barrel aged maple syrup by either adding maple syrup only to a bourbon barrel, or by adding the maple syrup and a small amount of bourbon in the barrel. I'm just trying the first method at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by maple maniac65 View Post
    Why can't they be washed out with steam, charred again then more bourbon put in them.
    Because then the ends would need to be removed and the barrels rebuilt and also the integrity of the barrel would be lost with another 15 minute char.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast