+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bourbon barrel aged syrup (in New York State)

Default bourbon barrel aged syrup (in New York State)

I'm now aging some syrup in once used bourbon barrels. In preparation for packaging and selling it, I have some questions. Specifically in New York State, What information is required on the label? I'm just designing a label to put on my bottles and want to meet any requirements. The syrup should be ready in 1-2 months so I need to get the labels designed and ordered soon.
    I was thinking I''d have
    volume
    my name and information
    "BOURBON BARREL AGED MAPLE SYRUP"
    and "may contain a trace to less than 2% alcohol"

Should I have anything else? Do I need to submit a sample for testing to meet the alcohol statement? If so, to who?

I drained what little bourbon that was in each barrel before filling, it was a vary tiny amount out of any of the barrels, thus any alcohol was trapped in the char in the oak barrels.

Thanks for any help,
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave, I think you have the bases covered. There is specific directives from Ag and Markets that I don't have in front of me right now. Give Helen Thomas a call tomorrow at the state office and she can fill you in for sure. 315-877-5795. We are looking for consignors to the State Fair if you are interested.

I should have thought to call her yesterday. The memo she sent out 6/16 said the office will be closed starting today, thru 7/5/17. I may wait to call her on the 6th.
    As for consignments to the State Fair, I will be sold out before Christmas, can't consign any or I'd be out in Sept or early Oct. As it is I may not be able to meet my Christmas orders and I do not buy bulk to re-pack. I only did that 1 year, and while the syrup was OK it definately was not what my customers had come to expect. I truly believe different soils produce different tastes. I like being sold out, but just before the new season starts.
    Last edited by maple flats; 06-22-2017 at 06:39 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave,
    Try her today, she said they were leaving the first thing Friday Morning.
    Doug

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:39 PM.

I believe to be 100% "legal" you have to send out your product to be analyzed for alcohol content and other traces that may come from the bourbon barrel. Basically if you put on the label it contains less than 2% alcohol, you better have the paperwork to back it up.
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

What would happen to the syrup let's say a fifth of bourbon was put in a five gallon wooden barrell and packed with hot syrup. Would it ferment or would it turn into something that is very likable.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

I did reach Helen at The NYS Maple Producer's office yesterday. She referred me to 2 articles published in "The Pipeline" the association newsletter. She also sent me an email with he 2 articles attached. If any NY producers want a copy PM me your email address and I'll forward her email to you.
    One is by Helen Parker, director of NY maple producers and the other is from NY Ag & Mkts.
    I will be putting mine into 200 ML (6.7628 oz)glass bottles and I think I'll sell them for $12 each.
    If they do real well the price may climb a little, if they sell too slow, it may drop.

What are people using the bourbon syrup for?

Mixed drinks at high end bars. I like it on ice cream.
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast