Thread: Shack going up this summer and fall

Threaded View

Default Shack going up this summer and fall

Just made a down payment on the materials for a 16x24 shack. It's a sizable chunk of change for a hobby, but we plan to use it all 4 seasons with canning veggies, parties, etc. Basic specs- 10 ft walls, board and batten, triple 2x6 laminated posts, 6/12 pitch trusses, 3x8 cupola (running a 2x6 right now), 4 windows, board/batten homemade wooden door, and a black metal roof with the bubble wrap underlayment stuff.

I'm pretty excited. I am not a carpenter by trade, but I grew up on a farm and can swing a hammer and hit the nail 3 out of 4 times. I've got a guy to do the gravel for me, and I will have my father and brother help mainly with the posts, headers, and trusses. Beyond that it is pretty straight forward. My dad has built a handful of pole barns during his life as a farmer, and my brother is a journeyman in the carpenters union. He's pretty **** good.

Hopefully this goes well. If it turns out half as good looking as the shack wnybassman built, I will be happy. Pictures to come later in the summer.
    Last edited by mudr; 06-15-2017 at 07:52 PM.