+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peach tree

I'm enjoying this Thread. So is it safe to say that even if you thin your peach trees they still will self destruct in about 10 years? I was looking to plant some Reliance and Intrepid trees next season. Sounds like I should just start with a few and then add on every year or two. Who do you buy your trees from?

Spud

Thanks for the info here.Last year we didn't have anything, do to a late frost also.
    Brian
    Velvet Hollow Sugarworks
    Greenwood, Maine
    900 taps
    CDL 2X6, leader RO

I have a of hale haven and a sunhaven late peach and neither of them have self destructed. The hale haven I have to support, but the sunhaven is big and robust and seems to support it's self. I put supports under the limbs very early and I think that keeps them from having stress damage. If you wait until they are already bowing towards the ground damage is already being done to the limbs. Of the two only the hale haven needs thinned as it gets absolutely covered in fruit. Both are self pollinators.

I got my reliance trees from Stark Brothers, I used to buy from Millers but I think Stark bought them.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

We buy most from Stark. I brace the trees as soon as they show any sing of sagging from the increasing weight. We also in a typical year remove about 65-75% of the fruit set. I still lose a tree at about 10-11 years. We plant 2-4 new trees (in peaches) every year. Since my earlier post I've counted how many peach trees we have, at present 11. Of those 5 are from some unknown pits we've planted as an experiment (we grew them but only know one parent). They were planted in the center of a half acre high fence garden (deer fence 7' high) but the soil there is fantastic and they grew too fast and created too much shade, so my wife had me pull them with the excavator, buy reaching over the fence and using a chain, they were then replanted outside the fence and 5 of 7 planted survived and are loaded with peaches this year. They will be thinned this week.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

So as a Father's Day gift to myself I ordered three Reliance Peach trees yesterday from Stark's. I happen to be on their site yesterday and noticed they were selling these trees for just $9.99 each. How can you say no to that? I wanted to order some Bubblegum Plum trees also but they were out of them.

Spud

Spud, It's getting a little late to plant them, be sure to give them some tender loving care until they show signs of taking hold. You will be best off if you prune away all but a little of the new growth. Let the roots get started then it will put out new leaves. If you leave too many on when planted they will actually suck some energy from the roots and weaken it. The best part is that if they don't make it, Stark guarantees them and you can get free replacements. Hopefully that won't be necessary. Water them well and keep them watered but do not over water them.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Good luck with your trees Spud. Should be a good year for planting a little late with all the rain we have been getting. Should be enough moisture that they will take right off.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Thanks Guy's. I hope they do well. Out of 600 trees I have bought from Starks in the last five years only two have now died. I have had great luck with this company.

Spud

Hey Spud,what about cherries,do you grow them,looking online thinking of trying the black gold variety
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast