+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black spots and Hydrogen Peroxide

Default Black spots and Hydrogen Peroxide

This was my first year using tubing. I ran 5/16 tubing to about 100 taps on level ground and used a small diaphragm pump to recreate vacuum.

In the last few weeks, I notice black spots on the inside of some stretches of tubing, mostly sections that are in the sun:

tubing with spots.jpg

After reading several threads here about different techniques to clean tubing, I decided to flush the system with a food grade Hydrogen Peroxide solution.

I bought food grade 35% Hydrogen Peroxide from an on-line seller:

Hydrogen Peroxide bottle.jpg

I filled my sap tank with about 100 gallons of water and added about 2 quarts of the Hydrogen Peroxide to the water. I then removed the last spout on each of my 3 lines and pumped the solution from the sap tank through the tubing until it ran out of the last spout onto the ground. I let it run for about 10 minutes. Then I capped the spout and kept the lines filled with the solution overnight.

In the morning, I flushed the rest of the solution through the lines but the black spots on the inside of the tubing did not go away:

tubing with spots - 2.jpg

I'm not happy. Could it be that the Hydrogen Peroxide was inert?

Is there a way one can tell if Hydrogen Peroxide has retained its potency?

Looks like I'll be trying the bleach next

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

I've found with using Hydrogen peroxide that it can leave residue and or spots there even after an overnight soak. In tanks, this was solved with a hosing out with regular water with a nozzle on it ( I don't use it on tubing, but on tanks). More volume/pressure took the spots right off.
    Others with direct tubing experience may have other solutions (ha ha pun intended).
    good luck--be good to hear your 5/16 overall experience too...that may be in another thread, I've not looked yet.
    Last edited by MapleMark753; 06-13-2017 at 04:39 AM. Reason: put 3 instead of 5 originally

I would be very careful with bleach.
    Those black spots i dont believe are just going to come out of tubing, you would have to rub or scrub and thats not going to happen.

How old is the tubing?
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

We suck hydrogen peroxide through our taps with the vacuum pump on when pulling taps. It helps flush out the drops but it does little for the lateral tubing lines. You're not going to get that mold out with any cleaner. Some of that will get sucked through next year during sap runs or you can cut it out and replace it.

Cleaning tubing is best done within a few days of the end of the season, before any mold begins to show. When you pump the hydrogen peroxide solution up thru the tubing just let it discharge 3-4 minutes, then plug the tap into or onto the tee. Leave the mixture in all year. With the sunlight the mixture will soon break down into oxygen and water. Then prior to next season, mid-late fall, flush with good water and drain. The extended contact will kill most micro organisms and leave the lines clean.
    This works, but most are now doing the dry clean method, run the pump until all sign of moisture is gone and leave the lines plugged at each tap. I used to use the food grade hydrogen peroxide method, but have since been using the dry method (for 6 years now). On that, the sooner you get it dry after the season the better too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Chemically hydrogen peroxide breaks down into harmless water droplets. Thats why is lines are not flushed well or allowed to air dry you will develop mold where water droplets remain.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Yeah, I realize now I should have flushed the tubing right after the end of the season.

Being new to using tubing, I didn't realize time was of the essence. Live and learn.

The bad news is the tubing has only been used one season. So I'd hate to have to replace it all.

The good news is that, so far, I only see the mold spots in about a 100 foot long section. If that is the only section I have to replace, its a quick fix.

Next year, I may try the dry air clean method and see how that goes.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Yes, just replace that 100'. However, if more spots develop, they will also need to be changed. You may not get more are you may get lots more, only time will tell. Good luck.
    Some wait until the next season and let the sap run a day to flush the lines and dump that sap on the ground. Then they only change any that doesn't come out. The problem with that is that you are dumping what could be the best sap of the season and if it turns out to be a short season you may be dumping a higher % than you really want to.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Interesting.

So why would the first sap of a new season remove black mold spots on the inside of tubing?

Sap is mostly water. If the Hydrogen Peroxide solution didn't remove the mold spots, why would sap?

Just curious.

thanks

Mark

Alright so before you bail on hydrogen peroxide, do you know what percentage hydrogen peroxide solution you put through your lines? Yeah, yeah, I can read the above, but you were writing in approximates I think. I do NOT mean to insult or anything like that, its just that well, it don't matter if you buy magic ju ju juice, if you dilute the juice too much it aint magic no more.
    take care
    mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast