Closed Thread

Thread: Selling cheap does not drive market down

Hybrid View

Lol, the packers are the market....other than what you sell privately......you have some private buyer only buying from you taking 2000 gals?? I didn't think so Bascoms is the market....state government isn't doing nothing to boost sales nor is anyone else.....what sells syrup is the pricetag and us!!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

So In other words you feel to create a more vibrant larger market we must charge more and make people hmm and haw about if they can afford it......or are you just tapping a blue and white collar market, looking at a higher price to boost bottom line and not volume of sales to boost bottom line, as Mercedes did??....
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

If I only have x number of trees and I sell my crop for $50 a gallon and somebody comes along and undercuts me for $45 a gallon I have a choice to make. I can maintain my price and try to find new buyers willing to pay $50 or I can lower my price to be competitive. If I can't find new buyers I'm stuck so I lower my price. Guess what, then my competition does it again forcing me to make the same choice again. It only ends when we've all sold our product at a lower price (the bottom). You can only make more money selling at a lower price if you have the ability to expand production. That isn't the case for many, if not most producers.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

Closed Thread