• Investigating a market order on domestic and imported syrup

23 29.49%
  • Looking into both a tariff and market order

38 48.72%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maple Marketing Tools Poll

Yea more lobbyists-- pro government, huh. Never be a natural sweetener cuz everyone wants a hundred a gallon . Right not about dairy but it relates to it in very similar ways......u wanna talk subsides etc....look at dairy, making taxes for up, farmer can't make money so we'll.give it to him so we can say we have farms
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    There has been a lot of talk about tariffs and market orders lately. My intention was to see how widespread it is. Based upon the numbers responding to the poll (look at the very top of this page), it appears that a strong majority would like an investigation into one or both.

Governments impose tariffs. A Market Order is essentially the industry itself writing the rules about what the order is, who participates, how much each producer/packer pays, and how the money is spent. The only governmental involvement is to set up the legal framework to make it happen. A board is set up (as defined by the order....which the industry writes up itself and decides the composition of the board), typically of volunteers (unpaid), and these folks make the decisions on the types of marketing efforts money is spent on.
    it would not be the industry itself writing anything, it would be a panel of pro government idiots trying to make sense of something they can't even begin to understand
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

You do know that the US packers are going to fight this hook, line and sinker in my opinion. They love to expand "their" market in an environment such as we have now.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

[QUOTE=markcasper;334736]They can help out the milk industry if the US government would follow the laws already on the books and DEPORT the illegal aliens. ALL OF THEM!!!![/QUOTE
    There it is!!!! Law is the law

" Oh but that's un-american". My *** is American and I love the idea, why are all these liberals speaking for me...hell with that it is American kick em out!!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    The biggest challenge to broadly marketing maple as a sweetener is competition with the corn industry.
    I would argue that the biggest challenge is simply getting people to realize that "maple syrup" is not the same as "table (corn) syrup." The biggest impediment to meeting this challenge is funding to educate consumers about the benefits of maple syrup over artificially-flavored corn syrup. That education simply cannot be done one consumer at a time as the maple industry has been trying to do for the past 50+ years. The market in New England/New York understands....outside of that they have no clue. Two things need to be done: 1) increase U.S. consumer awareness about PURE maple syrup and its benefits over competitors, and 2) increase consumption rates (even by a small amount). Neither of those are terribly difficult with a national campaign....but without funding to do it, it will NOT happen. Therefore the choice is to stop expanding (and possibly contract, meaning some producers STOP making syrup) and allow Canada to continue to fill the bulk of the U.S. maple syrup market demand, or to find sources of funding to MARKET PURE MAPLE SYRUP....which is what most producers seem to be clamoring about right now.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

HOW about a syrup coop.? Producers run their own packing plant and marketing
    3x8 Algier Evaporator. 600 gph Lapierre RO. 10" Filter press. We buy sap.

Before we go any further, a reminder that civility is required in any conversation in this forum. Let's all play nice.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ght=playground
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

You know what's really time for people to start understanding how this world works and I realize this isn't exactly maple but it ties into it in many ways......price of equipment is so high because every consumer of everything is paying for all this liberal agenda crap driving everybody cost of living up- the execs of every company out there, from leader evaporator, to coca cola is passing the buck to us.....all of Washington is figured into every product you buy from every single company doing business in USA- the consumer pays for all the commercial on TV, radio.....the consumer pays for these cronies to debate sanctuary cities, fags getting married, everything we pay for....when. Washington DC acts like a bunch of kids and shut it down we pay for it.....when we create panels of overlapping government for this and that it costs us.......I don't know about you but I'm sick of making 1.40 to bring home a dollar!!!! Taxes near .50 on a dollar... U pay payroll tax, then anything you buy after that is taxed again, it's bs and discussing things like market order and this and that etc sounds like more government to me, Yea let's start a federation down here, great idea. You should look how Canada​ does things you would not like--- communism
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

Bliss, I understand your position and think there is some segment of the population that agrees. In order to make this conversation a bit more constructive, how do you suggest we deal with the continued expansion of maple in the U.S., competition from Canada, and dropping price of bulk syrup. In other words, is there another choice or two I might have considered putting on the poll? Or is it not important?
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Also, the majority of "real sugarmaker" not hobbyist don't even mess with this site bc of what I find.....deal with a bunch of people who are ill concepted and more opinion than anything..... sometimes i ask myself why I even come on here, but I enjoy sharing information and learning what others have tried.....but remember this poll is not targeting the majority of producers, because they will never read the question..... there's 5-8 sugarmaker who makes 1500 gals + aren't even registered on mapletrader.....
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    7'' wes fab filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast