+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite 3/16th's tubing

Default Favorite 3/16th's tubing

What's everyone's favorite 3/16th's tubing and why?

Started out using D&G, which I really liked. Last year switched to CDL which is also very good, but the price of the 800ft rolls, I really liked. I may try some Lapierre to see how it stacks up.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

I also like cdl 10 year semi-rigid lite blue. it is easy to use when it is warm and cold. tried ultra 15 year green , but to soft can pull it till it collapses.

So far I've only tried leader 30p and the green stuff from h2o innovations. The h2o stuff is better. Cody who posts on here has tried several types and prefers the h2o.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I started with D&G, really liked it after I started taking the coil with me rather than try to pull off a spooler. It tends to grab the trees and will not pull. Now I start at the bottom, attach it using a hook connector to the main line (I tap into the main later), then I go from tree to tree until I have up to 30 taps worth. Then I attach it to the end tree. The next one, I start at the top and work down to the main. Later I add the drops and connect the line from the hook connector to a saddle.
    I looked closely to Leader's 3/16 but decided I did not like it as well, pretty much like their 5/16.
    So far I have not tried any others.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

D&G , Ive ran 7000 ft of it never had an issue, holds well grips the trees really well. It holds the fittings and doesn't collapse when stretched tight. I tried some CDL ,the price was really good but I found 3 spots where the tubing started to turn white and narrow down when it had been stretched . The sap flowed through but I cut it out and replaced it.
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

If the tubing turns white, your stretching way more than you need to. If concerned about saggy lines, pull it to another tree or brace it for support, but little sags wont hinder sap flow.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

I ran some cdl last year really liked it. I like hearing what others are using and there experience with it.

When we first started we were using CDL but it would stretch so much you could hardly get fittings into it, that's if it stayed in the tool.... I had worked for a 20,000 tap operation and have never had line stretch so much, the CDL rep assured me it was not the line that was the problem and would do nothing for me as a customer.

Then we switched to Leader 30P which works quite well. Only downfalls it has was that it is quite a bit more rigid than the rest of the brands and not nearly as translucent.

Then we tried some from DSD and are extremely pleased with the flexibility and it is very translucent but does not stretch. We have been using DSD saddles since we started but have learned they offer great line as well.
    Dominion and grimm 3 x 8
    MemPROtec 600SS
    24'x32' sugar house
    Two brothers and a best friend
    2015- setting up operations
    2016- 680 taps on 3/16
    215 buckets
    2017- 1280 taps on 3/16
    2018- 2000 taps on 3/16

Dealer for DSD Stars and MemProTec R.O.s

Quote Originally Posted by dbeitz1891 View Post
    When we first started we were using CDL but it would stretch so much you could hardly get fittings into it, that's if it stayed in the tool.... I had worked for a 20,000 tap operation and have never had line stretch so much, the CDL rep assured me it was not the line that was the problem and would do nothing for me as a customer.

Then we switched to Leader 30P which works quite well. Only downfalls it has was that it is quite a bit more rigid than the rest of the brands and not nearly as translucent.

Then we tried some from DSD and are extremely pleased with the flexibility and it is very translucent but does not stretch. We have been using DSD saddles since we started but have learned they offer great line as well.
    I have miles of CDL 3/16 up and haven't had any issues with it stretching. This will be the fourth year in a row that we have ran a bunch of it. I haven't tried any other brands so I can't speak for them but the 3 year old CDL tubing looks about as good as new.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast