+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selling maple candy

Default Selling maple candy

I am making maple candy to sell, but I don't know how much to sell at a time and with what price. I was thinking maybe a 1/2 pound box for $10.00???? That's just a rough uess. To make 21 2-inch pieces, it will cost me $2.24 due to syrup purchases. I wont be boiling my own syrup into the candy so I must pay for a $2.24 bottle. I am also in Maryland and there is no competition in my area with maple candy. Please give suggestions or the prices you would sell for!

I don't know what to tell you for a selling price. No idea what price would be acceptable in your area. I would go for a drive, regardless how far you had to go to find "competition", and see what their selling price is and then come up with a figure. No competition gives you a little advantage, but you don't want anyone walking away thinking you "grabbed them" either. If they see it elsewhere for far less, you won't see them again.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Are you in Garrett County? I know the Steyer Brothers make candy in Garrett County, also the Hill Top Fruit Market in Grantsville has Maple Candy for sell, comes from Milroy Farms in Salisbury Pa. If your east of Cumberland Maryland probably hard to find a lot of candy, West there is several syrup producers that make candy.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Is the candy crystal coated? If not it won't last only a couple of weeks. What about boxes and candy cups and shrink wrap? It takes about 16 ozs of syrup to make a 1/2 lb where can you buy a pint for $2.24. A pint of bulk would cost more than that. Having said that $10 a 1/2 lb would be a fair price. I live in maple country and sell for $9 a1/2 lb. Just went to a maple festival and it sold for $11. I crystal coat it so shelf life is several months. I pay close to $2 for a box from Bascoms, have candy cups shrink wrap. Not to mention a certified legal for trade scale so you give the right amount, not to much not to little. Do you have a inspected kitchen. You may get away making for family and friends people at work. Put it in a store and you will probably receive a visit from dept of ag. Just some things to think about before you put out a sign.

Sorry I miss spoke about the amount. I was figuring a lb. you make about 8 lb out of a gallon so that would give you 16 1/2 lb. so it would take a 1/2 pint to make that much so you are good at figuring $2.24 for syrup as I belive Bascoms sells golden in bulk for about $2.80lb.

Quote Originally Posted by upsmapleman View Post
    Is the candy crystal coated? If not it won't last only a couple of weeks. What about boxes and candy cups and shrink wrap? It takes about 16 ozs of syrup to make a 1/2 lb where can you buy a pint for $2.24. A pint of bulk would cost more than that. Having said that $10 a 1/2 lb would be a fair price. I live in maple country and sell for $9 a1/2 lb. Just went to a maple festival and it sold for $11. I crystal coat it so shelf life is several months. I pay close to $2 for a box from Bascoms, have candy cups shrink wrap. Not to mention a certified legal for trade scale so you give the right amount, not to much not to little. Do you have a inspected kitchen. You may get away making for family and friends people at work. Put it in a store and you will probably receive a visit from dept of ag. Just some things to think about before you put out a sign.
    I do not know rules in other states. Here in VT if a product is pure maple an inspected kitchen is not necessary. And a legal for trade scale is only needed if used at point of sale in VT.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Here in Wisconsin you don't need sellers permit for selling cream, cotton candy, maple candy or sugar

+ Reply to Thread