+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Number of Taps for 3/16 Gravity

Default Number of Taps for 3/16 Gravity

With the introduction of 3/16" tubing, and consequently the higher vacuum levels in the tubing, has the number of taps anyone looked at the number of taps per tree?

I am planning a 3/16" gravity system that will have a minimum of 20' drop downward from the final tap on the shortest run before connecting to a main. Will this type system act more like a vacuum system whereas I should only install 1 tap per tree or should I treat it more like a gravity system and therefore install 1 tap up to 20" tree and 2 taps after that?

I failed to mention, I plan to use Leader Check Valve Adapters with Stubby Spouts on 3/16" leaders to a 3/16" lateral. The shortest lateral will be about 400' with 12 trees (up to 18 taps if tree size is applicable) the longest being about 700 feet with 21 trees available (up to 35 taps if tree size is applicable)

I put one 5/16 tap in each tree on vacuum unless it's too big for me to reach around. My wingspan is about 6'4", so that means a tree I can't reach around is over 24" in diameter.

They're your trees, so it's your decision to make. That's just what works for me.
    Second generation sap rat.

Started taking over in 2012
    2012-2016: 300 buckets 120 on gravity tubing. Waterloo 2x10 wood fired. Averaged 105 gallons per season.

New for 2017: hoping for 350 on 3/16 with Shurflo and 100 buckets. 4x14 Algier wood fired cooker. Looking forward to making more syrup in less time!!

Still split it all by hand.

I put 2 in bigger trees with 3/16 gravity. I would also look at splitting your long run into 2 separate lines. I have a few lines we put put out this year with 30ish taps and they were overloaded. We'll be re-doing them aiming for about 20 taps per line so we don't overwhelm the smaller 3/16 line. Some 'experts' on 3/16 suggest 25 maximum for gravity.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

+ Reply to Thread