+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number of Taps for 3/16 Gravity

Default Number of Taps for 3/16 Gravity

With the introduction of 3/16" tubing, and consequently the higher gravity vacuum levels in the tubing, has anyone looked at the number of taps per tree?

I am planning a 3/16" gravity system that will have a minimum of 20' drop downward from the final tap on the shortest run before connecting to a main. Will this type system act more like a vacuum system whereas I should only install 1 tap per tree or should I treat it more like a gravity system and therefore install 1 tap up to 20" tree and 2 taps after that?
    Last edited by minehart gap; 05-31-2017 at 09:44 PM.

I failed to mention, I plan to use Leader Check Valve Adapters with Stubby Spouts on 3/16" leaders to a 3/16" lateral. The shortest lateral will be about 400' with 12 trees (up to 18 taps if tree size is applicable) the longest being about 700 feet with 21 trees available (up to 35 taps if tree size is applicable)

I put one 5/16 tap in each tree on vacuum unless it's too big for me to reach around. My wingspan is about 6'4", so that means a tree I can't reach around is over 24" in diameter.

They're your trees, so it's your decision to make. That's just what works for me.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

I put 2 in bigger trees with 3/16 gravity. I would also look at splitting your long run into 2 separate lines. I have a few lines we put put out this year with 30ish taps and they were overloaded. We'll be re-doing them aiming for about 20 taps per line so we don't overwhelm the smaller 3/16 line. Some 'experts' on 3/16 suggest 25 maximum for gravity.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

Roads End, if I were to separate the long lateral into 2 lines, the first would be around 400 feet but one of the lines would still be about 700 feet long only with less taps on it because that is how far it is from my tank to the furthest tree. Would that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by minehart gap View Post
    Roads End, if I were to separate the long lateral into 2 lines, the first would be around 400 feet but one of the lines would still be about 700 feet long only with less taps on it because that is how far it is from my tank to the furthest tree. Would that matter?
    As long as you have the elevation drop that distance would not be a problem.

My original question was about the vacuum. Basically does a tree act differently as a reaction to natural vacuum caused by siphon as opposed to mechanical vacuum? As both have a suction action on the tap. I have read in multiple threads that there is not a benefit to multiple taps in one tree when using vacuum, but all of the posts that I read were referring to mechanical vacuum not vacuum from gravity. Possibly there is no difference.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Will this type system act more like a vacuum system ...
    Vacuum is vacuum is vacuum. How it is generated is immaterial as far as tree sap flow is concerned.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

My original question was about the vacuum. Basically does a tree act differently as a reaction to natural vacuum caused by siphon as opposed to mechanical vacuum? As both have a suction action on the tap. I have read in multiple threads that there is not a benefit to multiple taps in one tree when using vacuum, but all of the posts that I read were referring to mechanical vacuum not vacuum from gravity. Possibly there is no difference.
    There is misleading information out there on additional taps per tree and will it help, I say more taps more sap, obviously no more than what's sustainable, I do not over tap my trees however nothing wrong with 2 taps in a 14-18" tree..

Picture a five gallon bucket​ full of water and under pressure, obviously five holes will have, if at same height, one gallon of water a piece until the bucket is empty....you could accomplish this with one hole Right?? Under certain conditions, no. If the single hole froze when the bucket was half full due to a freeze up, remember the bucket is example for the tree, then the bucket was not exhausted of that liquid or sap run. If there was 5 holes the bucket would have emptied before it froze.

To sum it up on short run days where the run only lasts a few hours you WILL get more sap out of a tree with more taps. However on a long run day of 12-24hrs+. The single tap per tree will give you the exact same available amount of sap as 2-3 taps.....the sap will find the hole if given enough free time.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

This is why I believe going organic will reduce your GPT and the extra .15 does not make up the small loss in sap
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast