+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dow FilmTech XLE 4040 Membrane Selection

Default Dow FilmTech XLE 4040 Membrane Selection

I am currently building a RO and have read multiple threads on Maple Trader regarding membranes. I am leaning towards using a Dow FilmTech XLE 4040. After doing a Google search for a FilmTech XLE-4040, I found the following listed for it:

XLE - 4040 Part Number 154546
    LP-4040 Part Number 212819
    TW30-4040 80610

Which one are most of you using. I assume it is the 154546 but mostly 80610 popped up on the search.

That's the one you want.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

I was very happy with xle membranes. That was until I found MES brand membranes. Faster flow and very good prices.

http://mapleexperts.com/PriceList.html
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

We are very satisfied with with the MES as well. Prices were excellent and folks were available for questions and support after the fact.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

I will be running a low pressures setup using a procon pump and after doing a lot of reading on this forum many have used the xle 4040 membranes due to the fact that they do not pass any sugar into the permeate. The MES seems to be a newer membrane that has been developed in the last few years. For those of you that have switched to the MES from the xle, do you see any issue to running it with a low pressure setup? Any issues with it passing sugar? What are the major advantages that you see with MES 4" by 40" membranes?

We finished our build just before this past season and went with the MES based on the info on the forum. We have never used the XLE so I can't compare the performance. We used the multistage pump rather than the procon but the pressures are similar, just a little more flow depending on what pressure we are running. We ran anywhere from 150 PSI to 230 PSI depending on sap temp,concentration and what flow rates we were trying to accomplish. There was a couple of days where we processed about 600 gallons of sap to around 6 to 7 percent sugar without sugar passage or fouling issues. I can't speak to the level of service the XLE dealers provide but I have called MES a couple of times with questions and they have been very helpful.
    Last edited by MT Pockets Producer; 06-17-2017 at 06:31 AM.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

+ Reply to Thread