+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Nylon Ratchet Straps in the sugarbush

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis H. View Post
    You know I just might end up giving it a try.

I was thinking of using those braided grips to hook the ratchet strap to allow me to pull the line tight but I may try the way Charlie stated.
    In place of the commercial tension grip, wrap the non-ratchet part of the ratchet strap (hook end) around the mainline about 5 times to cover several inches of the mainline, wrapping in the direction opposite of the pull. Then continue wraping back upon itself to the starting point of the wrap. It works a little better to feed the end of the strap though the "eye" of the hook rather than to just hook onto the strap, that reduces the chance that the hook will dent the mainline.

The ratchet part of the ratchet strap is hooked to a tree or whatever you are using to secure the mainline.

When tightened, the wrap on the mainline cinches down and in my experience doesn't slip. I have this setup on both black PVC and Leader blue mainline. I don't have any mainline larger than 1" diameter, so I can't speak to how this might work on larger diameters. When I was using commercial tension grips, I did have to add a pipe clamp to keep the grip from slipping; I haven't found the need to add a pipe clamp with the ratchet strap method.

Because the pull is one sided, there is often a little bend induced into the mainline; orient the point of pull so that the resulting bend is in a favorable direction to sap flow.

HTH

I have not used the ratchet straps for a permanent installation of a mainline, but found them useful during the installation process. That said, I have several ladder type tree stands that I've left in the woods and found that squirrels and chipmunks love to chew the straps. A lot of them were chewed completely through.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

I like to use them to keep tension on my main line.....simple fix when you are working alone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I have a few ratchet straps in use too. It seems some last a lot longer than others. Some get weak in a year from the sun and others have been out 6-8 years and still hold good. When I find some that breakdown too soon I try not to use that brand again. However sometimes that is a guessing game. If they were in fact made of nylon they would last a very long time. Most seem to be some cheap poly web. Some are labeled as UV protected, sometimes they lie.
    Last edited by maple flats; 06-14-2017 at 11:59 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12