+ Reply to Thread

Thread: De Laval for 3/16 system.

Default De Laval for 3/16 system.

Just found a de Laval no. 43 and was wondering if it would be a good picture of to use on a hybrid 3/16 system. I wasn't going to use a pump at all and just make sure everyline had about 30 ft of drop after last tap but think a pump will be additive. There will be about 1800-2000 taps on this line for next season.

Just looking for some information on this pump

IMG_20170514_171456760.jpg

The pump will help ensure all taps are at max. possible vacuum, but it will require a releaser. If you will have 30+ feet of drop from the lowest taps to the tank or the main you won't need the pump. If a good portion of your taps won't have the 30' of drop below the tap a pump will help. Remember, natural vacuum never breaks down and it runs for free, but if every tap is not getting the highest possible vacuum a pump will bring it up considerably.
    I use a hybrid system on my bushes, much is on 3/16 with good drop but the vacuum pump increases the sap from any taps that are too low to get full advantage of gravity vacuum.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That's a real antique, best person to get a hold of would be Breezy hill. I'm sure if anyone knows anything about that pump it will be him.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    That's a real antique, best person to get a hold of would be Breezy hill. I'm sure if anyone knows anything about that pump it will be him.
    Yes it sure is that's what I'm worried about and I can't find aNY info on it

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    The pump will help ensure all taps are at max. possible vacuum, but it will require a releaser. If you will have 30+ feet of drop from the lowest taps to the tank or the main you won't need the pump. If a good portion of your taps won't have the 30' of drop below the tap a pump will help. Remember, natural vacuum never breaks down and it runs for free, but if every tap is not getting the highest possible vacuum a pump will bring it up considerably.
    I use a hybrid system on my bushes, much is on 3/16 with good drop but the vacuum pump increases the sap from any taps that are too low to get full advantage of gravity vacuum.
    Yes almost every tap I am going to try for 30 ft and looks as if most will be. Although I'm going to say there are probably close to 150 ofor email close to the table know that won't be. But I'm also thinking the pump will gain me access to more trees further to the left maybe with a sap ladder or maybe not but therected are a couple hundred there that won't have the drop but 500 plus that will. So if I do all that I could have about 2500 to 3000 taps on the system so I think it will be good insurance to help with the trees close to tank, additive to some that may be not max, help with sags, and help with cleaning st end of year. Just not sure if this is the pump to use

WOW!
    I would not use this pump for the simple reason that it is rare find. I would clean it up and put it on EBAY and reserve the right to end the auction. I would bet if you ran a 30 day auction and get enough eyes on it you will find the collector that will pay big money for that pump. I would love to see more of the pump than just the name plate. I have never seen a 43 before. I am guessing it sat in an oil bath on a square tank. This is what the early pumps did to cool the oil. The metal of the tank was a heat sink.

send me a pm.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BreezyHill View Post
    WOW!
    I would not use this pump for the simple reason that it is rare find. I would clean it up and put it on EBAY and reserve the right to end the auction. I would bet if you ran a 30 day auction and get enough eyes on it you will find the collector that will pay big money for that pump. I would love to see more of the pump than just the name plate. I have never seen a 43 before. I am guessing it sat in an oil bath on a square tank. This is what the early pumps did to cool the oil. The metal of the tank was a heat sink.

send me a pm.
    Ben
    It was found in a barn by my grandfather and has sat under cover for about 30 years until I went and dug it out today.

Haha I was just sending a pm while u were replying to this thread

Weird how it says Peterboro, Ontario. That's either a spelling mistake or a really long time ago they called it Peterboro. That city is now called Peterborough. Wonder when they changed the spelling
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Weird how it says Peterboro, Ontario. That's either a spelling mistake or a really long time ago they called it Peterboro. That city is now called Peterborough. Wonder when they changed the spelling
    Mhmm very interesting, good catch

+ Reply to Thread