+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running 2 Releasers on 1 Pump

Default Running 2 Releasers on 1 Pump

I was wondering if anyone has run 2 releasers on 1 pump. I would like to have one pump run 1 releaser with about 1500 hundred taps that would be located at the pump location. I was wondering if I can have the same pump run another releaser about 1500 feet away. If I can do I run the air line for the second releaser through the first or do I tee the line before the first releaser. Thanks for any help!

Depends on the cfm of your pump and what size transfer line you have for your vacuum. I have 1 pump, ( 5cfm) operating two releasers and the the vacuum line from the pump ( 800 feet away) to the releasers is 1 1/2". The releasers are about 100 feet apart and the line between them is 1 1/2".
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

If the pump can handle the tap count and the releasers cycling then the answer is yes.

The issue is if both releasers dump at the same time...this will be the point that you will have the longest time to get back to the desired vacuum level.

I would certainly put check valve on the lines entering the releasers to minimize surging backup the mains into the bush

Over sizing the line to the furthest releaser will act as a balance tank and reduce frictional losses of the long distance.

Do not tee the line but use a Y connector to go to the second releaser to minimize frictional losses. Also using 2" or 3" pvc to Y of from will increase your efficiency.

With beg enough tools anything is possible...with in reason. lol

We do two as well, the first has about 1000 and the second runs through the first on a 1.5" line about 1400 feet away.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

We currently have one releaser using 1.5" pipe running about 750 feet. This releaser services just under 400 taps. We can expand to about 550 or so with another 1000' mainline.

Instead of putting out 1000' of mainline we are going to run about 1200' 1.5" pipe to a second releaser which will handle 400-500 taps on a 800 foot mainline. This second run can be expanded to include over 1,000 taps if time/need rises.

As mentioned make sure you have a large enough pump to handle the total tap count. Next is the concern if both releasers dump at the same time. I have a run of 4" PVC near the pump and can add another near the releasers to help over come a drop in vacuum.

Mike
    Tapping since 1985 (four generations back to early to mid 1900s). 200-250 taps on buckets and then tubing in the mid 90s. 2013- 275 taps w/sap puller 25 gal. 2014-295 taps w/sap puller 55 ga. (re-tapped to vacuum theory) 2015-330 taps full vac. 65 gal, 2016-400 taps 105 gal, 2017-400 taps 95 gal. 2018-additional 800' mainline and maybe 400 new taps for a total near 800 taps. 2x6 Leader WSE (last year on it) supported by a 250 gph RO.

We have 3 releasers running off one pump.The pump is plummed directly to a 30gal. tank. All the releasers are plummed into that. Acts like vacuume storage.
    Paul & Serena
    Sugaring for over 50 years.
    4000+ taps on vacuum
    4 Airtech Vacuum Pumps
    4 X 12 Force 5 with D&G Pans
    Lapierre 1200 GPH RO

www.paulssugarhouse.com

Thanks for the help. Another question-Can the air line running to the second releaser just be laid on the ground. It has to run up and over a hill. As long as I install a moisture trap after the second releaser will it work just laying it on the ground? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evanstj View Post
    Thanks for the help. Another question-Can the air line running to the second releaser just be laid on the ground. It has to run up and over a hill. As long as I install a moisture trap after the second releaser will it work just laying it on the ground? Thanks
    I have 900 taps 1600' from my vacuum pump. Line is buried below frost. I have a moisture trap at the releaser and one at the pump. Some moisture will accumulate in the vacuum line. I think mostly from condensation. Before I buried the line the low spots would freeze and have no vacuum to releaser until it thawed.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

We have a double vertical releaser about 300 feet from the pump,then a single vertical releaser another 900 feet further on. One thing that hasn't been noted is to have ball valves to isolate the vacuum going to the releasers ,if you had a catastrophe such as a large tree come down over your vacuum line,you could turn off the vacuum to that releaser rather than losing vacuum on the whole bush
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

i have 2 releasers running off 1 pump with 2 air tanks plumbed inline one 30 gal right at the pump and a 60 gal 500 ft away before the releaser works great
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

+ Reply to Thread