+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stack Pipe through the roof

Default Stack Pipe through the roof

I'm new to the forum and to sugaring. Built a new sugar shack, plywood over the rafters, with metal roofing on top. I have ordered stack pipe from Leader, is this pipe double walled? If not what do I do, to get it through the roof with out burning up the building?

You need a roof jack:

new roof chimney.jpg

new stack inside.jpg

Some are designed to be installed on the sloped part of the roof like mine. Others are designed to be installed directly through the center of the roof ridge.

If you do a Google search for "roof jack" you'll see lots of options.

The part of the stove pipe that goes through the roof jack on my set up is 8" double wall stainless steel piping.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

You need a roof Jack. They are made to the pitch of the roof and by size of the stack. Also if center mounted or the the side.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

The pipe you ordered from Leader will be a single wall pipe. That's why you will need a roof jack to safely put the pipe up threw the roof.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

To be on the safe side you may want to use double-walled pipe in addition to the roof jack.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Thanks for the information

If you have a hood over your flu pan you could look into putting in the Smoky Lake concentric exhaust system. This is a 2 stack system one pipe inside the other. The water vapor (steam) goes up through the roof in the area between the pipes. The result is one penetration through your roof and zero clearance. I used it this year and was very happy with it. It also reduced the sparks exiting the stack but did not eliminate them. Jim said that I could extend the outer pipe to give it more time for the sparks to mix with the water vapor and should help even more.

Just order a roof jack from leader with the pitch of your roof. They will custom make the jack. It then will sit on top of you metal roof. Inside I would have the plywood roofing cut about 12" minimum distance from pipe so a square opening 18" x18" or larger if allowed....very simple , very safe.......if rafters are near by simply put a piece of flashing or cement board mounted on the rafter to reduce heat going directly to rafter.....
    www.MaharMaple.com
    Vortex 30x10 woodfired
    springtech 600
    3000+ taps
    vacuum/ gravity/ buckets

+ Reply to Thread