+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to put defoamer in?

Default Where to put defoamer in?

Hi Guy's,

Where is everybody putting their defoamer? Are you putting it in the floatbox or are you putting it in the flue pan?

I'm thinking about installing a dripper unit and I've seen them mounted on steam hoods and I just recently saw a bracket mounted one for a float box. What has your experience been, with either location?

I've found that I need to add it directly in the pan- adding it in the floatbox doesn't knock the foam down, and I don't know why that is.

Thoughts?

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I tried adding it to my floatbox before I had a preheater. It would just turn into a lump on top of the cold sap. Then I got in the habit of adding to pan and never tried box again.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Smoky Lake 2x6 fuel-oil fired, raised flue, hoods, SSR, concentric exhaust
    Home-built auto draw off
    Home-built RO - double XLE 4040, PLC controlled
    8x10 Sugar Shed
    200 taps on tubing with Shurflo vacuum with solar
    https://www.facebook.com/flowercitymaplesyrup/

I have always added the defoamer right where the inflow of sap first enters the pan. From the float box sap (or in my case concentrate) flows in thru a tube, that tube then goes to the front of that section and finally enters the pan there. That is where the defoamer should be added. Until this past season I added it manually, but this season I got an automatic defoamer and I mounted it there, in the hood, directly above the spot where that tube ends and the sap enters the pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Well, we just put the defoamer where the foam is in the flue pan. Very rarely in the syrup pan. Never have put it in the float box.
    Normally its right in the area of the flue pan where the concentrate comes in that tends to foam up for us, so that's where we put it. Works out to be about every other firing or so, but our rig is much smaller than yours.

I guess I'll be drilling a hole in the hood!

Thanks for the insight guy's.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    I guess I'll be drilling a hole in the hood!

Thanks for the insight guy's.

Steve
    Steve, what size hole do you need? I have 3 sizes of Greenlee punches that make perfect holes without upsetting adjacent metal. You can borrow it if you want. Most likely you want a 7/8" hole which allows you to put in a 1/2" bulkhead fitting, that's what I used. Give me a call if you want it.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hi Dave. I'm not sure what size hole I'll need until I get the oiler/dripper unit. I assume there are different sizes?

I'll keep the punches in mind. Thanks for the offer!

Steve

Experts say add to the inlet to back pan where sap enters......if ever need in front pan, first of off if you need in front pan then your not using enough in the back pan, but ALWAYS add at draw off side never to middle section..........syrup and heat in general follows defoamer
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

My 2' x 6' foams primarily in the middle 2 channels of the flue pan. One drop of defoamer applied manually anywhere in either channel has an instantaneous effect in both channels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast