+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need something for filtering and botlling next year.. but what

Default need something for filtering and botlling next year.. but what

so this year made 28 gallons( normal year 40-50). I use cone filters and a 19x30 gas finisher. that being said I am lugging and dumping 5 gallons of syrup around a lot . not fun! was looking for some kind of filter canner, but to many kinds to pick from. water or not? electric or gas? flat filter or cone? to many options. I have never used any of them. I'm looking to refine this system. any thoughts on what works best or what do u guys all do?

We have an 11 gallon water jacket filter canner. It has a flat filter tray. Holds 8 gallons to the bottom of the filter tray or 11 gallons of filtered syrup to the top. It's a stove top unit I had made.

what do u use for a filter set up wool with pre-filters ? and one pass the syrup is clear?

Quote Originally Posted by amasonry View Post
    so this year made 28 gallons( normal year 40-50). I use cone filters and a 19x30 gas finisher. that being said I am lugging and dumping 5 gallons of syrup around a lot . not fun! was looking for some kind of filter canner, but to many kinds to pick from. water or not? electric or gas? flat filter or cone? to many options. I have never used any of them. I'm looking to refine this system. any thoughts on what works best or what do u guys all do?
    Just curious how you filtered syrup on a normal year 40/50 gals?
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

I use a 16"×16" gas bottler,filter tank system with steam pan.I use felt flat filters, you can buy them in 36" squares, and you can buy prefilters in 36" squares, cut them in 4 equal pieces roughly 18" square.

When I first start filtering for the day I start by putting a felt on the filter tray that has been boiling in pot of water, I shake it out and place it in the filter rack, then I put 3-4 pre filters on top of the felt. Then I immediately pour 2-3 gallons of syrup through the filter filling the filter cavity to the top of the filters. Then I put the lid on the canner to keep the heat in the filters, wait about 5 minutes and return to the filter tank, remove the lid and generally all the syrup has gone through. If it's later in the season you may have to pull off the top pre filters and alow it to drip off before discarding to a pail to wash later. If I have more syrup to filter I repeat, if not I put the lid on and go about my business.

When I get ready to filter again I turn on the propane burner and use the hot syrup below the filters to warm them up if you will, you get alot of condensation even heating the syrup to just 185.

I can usually get at least 10 gallons through one felt, sometimes at the end of the season you might only get five gallons through but that is some really muddy stuff.

If I use up all my initial pre filters I just add more hot damp ones before I go to filter again. You want to have 4-5 times as many prefilters as felt filters on hand.

Any brand filter tank can be used in this manner, I happen to have a Smokey lake one ,but they all work and they all do the same thing.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 05-09-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

You want to mark the top corner of your felt so you always install it with the correct side facing up. So you don't push niter out of the felt in subsequent filterings.

I wash my pre filters and felts in boiling hot water by hand , I get the green gloves that leader sells, they work great.

I do about 100 gallons per season this way. If you keep your filters warm and keep up with your prefilters it's pretty easy filtering, also you want your syrup to be at least 190+ degrees.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

what do u use for a filter set up wool with pre-filters ? and one pass the syrup is clear?
    We use a felt finish filter and 7 prefilters. Always clear. As they plug up we pull 1 filter out at a time. Big runs we can pull up to 4 prefilters.

Quote Originally Posted by n8hutch View Post
    You want to mark the top corner of your felt so you always install it with the correct side facing up. So you don't push niter out of the felt in subsequent filterings.

I wash my pre filters and felts in boiling hot water by hand , I get the green gloves that leader sells, they work great.

I do about 100 gallons per season this way. If you keep your filters warm and keep up with your prefilters it's pretty easy filtering, also you want your syrup to be at least 190+ degrees.
    We also wash with hot water between each boil. Then rins with cold water. Filters always come out looking new. Then hang over the finish pan to stay warm and moist before putting them in the filter canner.

Ogdens , I made a filter cone tree. starting with two old filters into a new one and poor syrup though. I only did it this way, because one pass through wasn't enough. it has just gotten to be to much holding a pot in the air. my syrup tends to finish heavy with no cover and cause more work.

saw your canners whity nice .well thanks guys, looks like I have some fabricating to do

Like Nate, I have a Smoky Lake steam filter/bottler and it works great. 4 or 5 prefilters and a felt. Smoky Lake sells a replacement filter set (4 or 5 prefilters and a felt) for $25 with free shipping.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast