+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pileated woodpecker trying to get a drink?

Quote Originally Posted by mspina14 View Post
    Hmmm. Looks like the same kind of damage. Same shaped holes and same depth.

Do you think it's from a bird or porcupine (or something else)?

Mark
    russ was likely responding to the OP, not you, when commenting on the damage-creator. the holes in the trees in your pictures were not made by a porcupine, they were made by a woodpecker (not a pileated).

porcupines are quite capable tree climbers, and spend a significant portion of their lives in trees, even small trees.

wally
    member, new hampshire timberland owners association

2x6 g.h. grimm company lightning evaporator. made in rutland vt.

We have both here in our area. The picture of the poplar tree was drilled by a pileated woodpecker we know because they nest in our woods near our house and we watch them work on our trees all the time. When porkies eat they clean the bark off smaller branches on mostly live trees not dead or dying ones like the woodpeckers do. The birds are after bugs under the bark and in the dead wood but the porkies are after the cambium layer of the living tree, I've never noticed any deep damage to the underlying wood from porkies. The porkies like the oaks and maples and seem to get lead poisoning from that but the woodpeckers like dead / dying pine and poplar and seem to do just fine on that food with no ill effects! Jay
    Woodpecker Tree 2.jpg
    Zucker Lager

Quote Originally Posted by Zucker Lager View Post
    We have both here in our area. The picture of the poplar tree was drilled by a pileated woodpecker we know because they nest in our woods near our house and we watch them work on our trees all the time. When porkies eat they clean the bark off smaller branches on mostly live trees not dead or dying ones like the woodpeckers do. The birds are after bugs under the bark and in the dead wood but the porkies are after the cambium layer of the living tree, I've never noticed any deep damage to the underlying wood from porkies. The porkies like the oaks and maples and seem to get lead poisoning from that but the woodpeckers like dead / dying pine and poplar and seem to do just fine on that food with no ill effects! Jay
    Attachment 16482
    How do porcupines get lead poisoning from eating the cambium layer of live Maple and Oak trees?

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

[QUOTE=mspina14;334055]How do porcupines get lead poisoning from eating the cambium layer of live Maple and Oak trees?

Mark[/QUOTE

It follows a "High Velocity Impact"

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Usually one of these

Attachment 16483
    Ahhh. I see.

Someone has been out Maple tree hunting!

I thought shooting Maple trees was prohibited.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

The can climb very high, stopping for a snack on way up not sure. I do know when they reach the 30' mark and fall out of tree they make a really big thud when hitting the ground.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Don't look up as they don't leave the tree to take a leak

Quote Originally Posted by OldManMaple View Post
    Don't look up as they don't leave the tree to take a leak
    Do you know this from experience
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Well just say I'm leery under the hemlocks. They seem to hang out in them. I can sometimes find them by the freshly dropped branches and the piss stains under the trees when theres snow on the ground. I'm going to start giving them the choice of lead or swimming the river, so look out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast