+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air tight front

Default Air tight front

It looks like one of the big projects for this year will be to replace the cast front on our 2x6 Leader arch with a air tight front. The cast front has all kinds of cracks in it well past drilling a hole to stop the spread. I was wondering what kind of improvement should I expect with a air tight front? What is everyone's experience with them? Thanks- Josh

I'm faced with the same problem this year. I've been holding the biggest crack in my Algier arch front closed with a bar clamp. The other cracks are making it hard to open and close the doors when firing. I ordered an air tight arch from W.F. Mason.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

We are on our second year with air tight front cause we installed blower and ash was blowing out doors. Works awesome now with air tight front.

Late 2016 I lost a corner off my door. HPIM2422.jpg

After bolting it back on, the door closed really hard. I drilled and tapped holes in the doors and bolted blanket insulation in the inside (sorry, no pic). Well now the doors didn't heat up so much, meaning a big gap in the middleIMG_0445.jpg

So I started tucking a piece of woven rail gasket in the crack every time I closed the doorIMG_0444.jpg

Those were the only changes I made and I went from boiling at 80 gph to 100+ gph. This is on a 40"x10', no blowers. So for next year, the hope is to make the doors even more airtight and pay a lot more attention to arch insulation, gaps under and between the pans, etc. I think the biggest factor was eliminating the cold air being sucked over the fire.
    Steven Abbott
    Over 900 taps on vacuum
    30" x 10' D&G Woodsaver evaporator with Steamaway
    Half acre market garden
    2 farmers in training

Did you see a uptick in the evaporation as well?

Nice job. It looks good. We have a pretty big gap in our door from not closing all the way. Hopefully with a air tight front the evaporation goes up.

You should see an increase in evaporation with an air tight front. Especially with a good blower and Grates that spread the air out well.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

20729192_1655256037838455_1894652153225123523_n.jpg20768172_1655256074505118_3398825507027195741_n.jpg

The new front and blower are on. Just waiting on the pre heater and hood now. Hopefully we will have the 2x6 humming good next year.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

what is the cfm of the blower you put on the unit? can you tell me the model number of the blower? I just got my air tight front from leader and its also a 2x6.
    thanks
    www.themaplehut.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36680916@N06/
    22x16 Hut
    290 Taps
    2x6 Leader Patriot Raised Flue
    WesFab Filter Press
    Reverse Osmosis
    WF Mason bottlers
    Cotton Candy Machine

Quote Originally Posted by softmaple View Post
    what is the cfm of the blower you put on the unit? can you tell me the model number of the blower? I just got my air tight front from leader and its also a 2x6.
    thanks
    The blower is the one straight from Leader. I'm not exactly sure of the CFM. The next time I go up to the sugar house I'll try to take a look.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

+ Reply to Thread